Mad Hunky versus SmokyOkie Yardbird breasts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jwbtulsa

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Finally. Minor setback. Terribly windy today. Can't get any more pecan until tomorrow. Decided to try the yardbird on the trusty Hasty Bake using lump and hickory chips. Oh well, we all make sacrifices...
DISCLAIMER:Bear in mind that I am just curious how the products compare within my tastes. I am by no means posting to state one product is necessarily better for everyone. Just wanting to share my experience and hopefully get some feedback. I fully respect those who manage the wonderful forums dedicated to smoking and BBQ.

Plain old boring skinless breasts. The one meat that needs the most help. So here goes..
Two pieces brined in The Solution for Chicken. Only two because I am familiar with it and needed a standard. The upper left on is rubbed with Judge's Choice. The lower left is rubbed with Judge's Choice with an addition flavor layer of Rooster Booster. The two in the middle brined in a delicious smelling Mad Hunky Poultry Brine, rubbed with Judge's Choice only. The upper right brined in MHPB and then left plain. The lower right also brined in MHPB then rubbed with MHGP. All pieces were brined four about three/four hours. Grilled with grate temp of 350F per the Mav ET-732.

So we hit 165F and it was time for a brief rest

First was the SFC/JC standard. It was the most juicy of the combinations. Balanced flavor which I expected given brine and rub come from same source.

No picks of the SFC/JC/RB bird. It's same old same old at our house. Not as juicy as the first. IMHO. nice flavor.

Next up was the MHPB/JC bird. This was the FAVORITE of the clan. We appreciated the flavor layer that was different than our standard. It was the most tender of the subjects although It didn't seems as juicy as the standard. Perhaps that is an improvement as it would appreciate a variety of sauce. Very good indeed. We will repeat this for sure.

Third place was the MHPB/MHGP combo. The MHGP seemed to overpower the underlaying flavor from the brine. I may have applied to much. As a side note, My current go to rub for beef is MHGP. LOVED it on my last brisket. Perhaps it is better balanced on a stronger cut of meat from our perspective. Overall, it did taste good and I would not turn it down.

No pick of the MHPB plain bird. It was very good indeed. I could see doing more like this to be used in other recipes. Salads, Asain, Mexican, etc. Good base flavor without being to overpowering. Would like to try it on some turkey soon.

Since I gotta fire up the grill, I thought I would get my first taste of some of the world famous HOT WHANGS!!!! Oh man, these were kick ass! So good, I wouldn't let any one else try them. Saving them for lunch at work tomorrow.

Only improvment would be to add more rub!

Plated sampler with a side of sauteed asparagus with mushroom and red onion. Seasoned with a little garlic powder, white pepper, and sea salt.

Overall, the birds we will be repeating are the two rub only with Judge's Choice. The brine solution of choice will depend on the menu. Each has its own great taste and it was difficult to decide which one was the best. IMO, I now have more options for good food depending on what we want. (Dang it! Now I have to buy more crap!)
MHPB brined bird without rub will be something I predict shows itself throghout the summer as well. My son asked for some MHPB/ no rub chicken legs.

In case you're wondering,

Thanks to all,
John

Last edited:
I know I would be a member of the "Clean Plate club" if those were at my house!  They all look spectacular!  Good job!
Looks-Great.gif

Thanks. It was pretty darn good considering it was naked yardbird! Always good to have a variety of flavored in the aresenal.

NIce to know there's help for the alway present chicken breast in the weekly menu rotation....think I'll do a brine on the next go round here. Yeah, they're healthier for you, I guess, but we do get sick of them. Wings look excellent....$2 bucks a pound here and they stick ya with the flipper, go figure

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky