Insulating a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whitetailer

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Centralia Missouir
Hey folks...

I have an Oklahoma Joes Longhorn...it leaks like a sive around the door (thats another post). I was interested in insulating it...but from the inside.

There are times when it just wont hold steady temps and is really frustrating. The leaks around the Pit Door are because the door is warped, it just dont fit tight. My idea for that is to weld 1" flat iron all around it and then use a gasket of some type to seal.

But can you safely place insulation on the inside of a smoker? reason I ask is because I dont want the expense and all the work it would take to do it on the outside...I'll sell mine and buy a new pit if it comes to that.

Thoughts?

I would not put insulation on the inside of your smoker. A lot of guys just wrap a welding blanket around or over the top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky