Insulated reverse flow cabinet fuel question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jstine02

Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone runs one of these cookers with lump for fuel. We have one that we are going through the learning phases with and so far have just ran royal oak briquettes with chunk wood scattered around in the box. A 10ish hour cook uses just under 1/2 a load of coals but being that our cooker is massive, the ash left behind is crazy. Yes I know that is part of the process, but I'm looking at weather lump will run with less ash and allow us to get up to temps we need to heat this beast easier.

Right now we load in 2 1/2 bags of coal, 5-8 fist size wood chunks and then dump in two full chimney starters full of coal in order to have enough heat to bring it up to temp. With lump since it burns a bit hotter, I'm wondering if we can load with lump, start either the same two chimney's of regular coal or one full starter of lump and 1/2 of regular coal and get up to temp and run at our preferred temp of 290.

Wasn't sure if lump runs efficient in these types of cookers or not, I'm sure I'll test if out but didn't know if anyone had any tips to go along with it.

Thank you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky