I have ideas on smoker design but no way to manifest them.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I love gravity feed cookers and have an idea for a version that auto feeds hardwood sticks.
Perhaps custom sized sticks, perhaps raw sticks below a certain diameter and length.
Is this type of cooker in the pipeline? If so, I'm first in line to buy one.

How about an ultra light stick burner (maybe even the above auto feeder) constructed with space flight derived heat barrier material that blocks all heat loss while being very light.
The above could use very thin and light retangular steel or aluminum panels bonded to heat barrier material in order to fit a low profile box (to ship cheaply) and then be assembled by the end user.

Reactions: JLeonard
Just my opinion, but I don't think feeding splits to a stickburner can be automated. Its very much a " feel " thing. I would not want it to be automated.

And you won't get the uniformity in splits that exists with pellets or charcoal. Every split doesn't burn the same.

Reactions: JLeonard
Not saying it would be easy or quick OR cheap but sticks can be manipulated just like pellets or briquettes to a uniform size, weight and moisture content.
Feed timing would be burn chamber temp driven with some human input to fine tune the programming.
It could be high tech with a rotary magazine or simple gravity feed chute, but sooner or later somebody is going to do it.

I'm constantly digging into the firebox to rearrange splits. I can get a few more minutes of steady heat just by maybe turning a split over or picking it up out of the ash so it will get more air. I also push splits down into the coal bed if the fire is burning hotter than I want.

That can't be automated.

I love gravity feed cookers and have an idea for a version that auto feeds hardwood sticks.
Perhaps custom sized sticks, perhaps raw sticks below a certain diameter and length.
Is this type of cooker in the pipeline? If so, I'm first in line to buy one.

How about an ultra light stick burner (maybe even the above auto feeder) constructed with space flight derived heat barrier material that blocks all heat loss while being very light.
The above could use very thin and light retangular steel or aluminum panels bonded to heat barrier material in order to fit a low profile box (to ship cheaply) and then be assembled by the end user.
It’s can be automated it would just have wild temp swings and there a lot do engineering and/or trial and error Involoved in it …. There’s a reason commerical
Smokers use a micros processor and sawdust or small Amounts of wood rather than “splits” your +\- would likely be 20-30 degrees but there’s also ways to depart the heat and smoking from the cook chamber … I saw a smoker than had a hydraulic pres that pushed a large spilt against a steel wheel almost looked like a wagon wheel to generate smoke through friction , my assumption would be the heat came from
An alternative source gas or electric

I'm constantly digging into the firebox to rearrange splits. I can get a few more minutes of steady heat just by maybe turning a split over or picking it up out of the ash so it will get more air. I also push splits down into the coal bed if the fire is burning hotter than I want.

That can't be automated.
I used to drive a low quality stick burner and am very familiar with coal bed and stick position manipulations to maintain 275.
Too hot was an easy fix, just open the cook chamber door a tad to dump excess heat.
Churning the coal bed (and mostly spent sticks) is a simple matter of a rotating paddle or round basket.
I think read only programing driven manipulations, based on temp input readiings at several points across the cooker, would take care of firebox adjustments, and probably better than I used to do after a few too many frosty brews.
It's not a question of whether it can be done, rather to do it at a low enough price point to make it viable.

Reactions: slavikborisov
I used to drive a low quality stick burner and am very familiar with coal bed and stick position manipulations to maintain 275.
Too hot was an easy fix, just open the cook chamber door a tad to dump excess heat.
Churning the coal bed (and mostly spent sticks) is a simple matter of a rotating paddle or round basket.
I think read only programing driven manipulations, based on temp input readiings at several points across the cooker, would take care of firebox adjustments, and probably better than I used to do after a few too many frosty brews.
It's not a question of whether it can be done, rather to do it at a low enough price point to make it viable.

Good luck !

Next question… what’s your price point …. And how familiar are you with automation of any sort?
Price point is an interesting question.
I see folks pay big bucks for thick wall large stick burners and large comp cabinet rigs so I know there's money out there..
I just wish I had one in my yard and if building a one off is the end of it then that's fine too.
Automation not at all, automotive stuff 50 years, including computer diagonstics.

Reactions: slavikborisov
Price point is an interesting question.
I see folks pay big bucks for thick wall large stick burners and large comp cabinet rigs so I know there's money out there..
I just wish I had one in my yard and if building a one off is the end of it then that's fine too.
Automation not at all, automotive stuff 50 years, including computer diagonstics.
be curious with what you come up with!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky