Holy smokes, go Braves!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hijack73

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 9, 2020
SC, just a smidge from Charlotte
I didn't know we had a sports section!

So I'm not much into sports. Never was a basketball fan, once the NFL (national don't hit anybody league..... because EVERYTHING is roughing someone or pass interference or I'm a wuss don't hit me interference) appealed to me but it's not the game it used to be, so I tapped out, and NASCAR just faded away cause I lost interest.

BUT- I've been a Braves fan since about 1980. Lots of disappointment over the years, I watched hundreds of games where Dale Murphy was the only bright spot, to lots of heartache in the 90s when we had the best teams but just couldn't close it out, to this year - where I won't even Bish if we don't win the WS, because this year has been THE YEAR. What a lineup. Most runs scored in baseball and within 10-12 of the least amount of runs given up in baseball.

Go BRAVES!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
Followed the Braves for many years. My son whos 32 now grew up watching Sportscenter while other kids watched cartoons. He was the kid in kindergarten that could quote stats for baseball teams. Work has really cut into my baseball watching but still try to keep up with them.

Jim

Not a Braves fan but I've been to a couple games in the stadium there when our offices were in Suwannee GA. I am a fan of the fact they are still named the Braves while my beloved Indians are now named the Guardians.

Reactions: JLeonard
Same here Hijack73 Hijack73 . I grew up in North GA playing baseball in the late 70's through the mid 80's. So lifelong Braves fan here. I remember in the late 80's the team was so bad only 3-5 thousand people would show up for a game. We could buy a $3 upper deck ticket and sit behind home plate after the second inning. Not anymore!
We manage to make it down to Atlanta for a couple of games every year. Building the new stadium outside of downtown was the best thing ever. Crime got so bad down there it was becoming a deterrent for fans.
I hope the make the Series but even if they don't it's been a great year to be a Brave's fan!

I remember in the late 80's the team was so bad only 3-5 thousand people would show up for a game. We could buy a $3 upper deck ticket and sit behind home plate after the second inning.
We did the exact same thing!! Took our children to many games at the old Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. We've been to Turner Field quite a few times, too. Haven't made it to Truist Park yet.

A lot more fun being a Braves fan than it was in the70's and 80's lol

My dad use to take me to opening day for the Braves when they were in Milwaukee, WI.
Saw Warren Spahn pitch his 300th win.

Last edited:
Not a Braves fan but I've been to a couple games in the stadium there when our offices were in Suwannee GA. I am a fan of the fact they are still named the Braves while my beloved Indians are now named the Guardians.
They will always be the Indians, at least for our generations. Nats on the other hand don't deserve to be remembered as the Expos 😂

Reactions: jcam222
I followed them in the 90s, through all the times they "almost" won the WS (I would have GLEEFULLY strangled Bobby Cox MULTIPLE times if I'd had a chance!), but when they FINALLY won, all my familiar players started retiring/got traded/etc...I lost interest and haven't kept up with them since.

So I might have to give them a look again??? :emoji_astonished:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky