Hello from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sometexassmoker

Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
I'm not new to smoking, but recently bought a OC Brazos model and love it!  My first smoker was an Oklahoma Joes model

that I gave away several years ago when I bought the BGE.  Don't get me wrong, I love the BGE, but it's just not the kind of 

smoker I wanted.  So I started looking for an affordable smoker that wouldn't break the bank, yet still be hefty enough to last

a few years.  So I went with the Brazos model and couldn't be happier.  I smoked my first brisket on it last weekend, and to

my amazement, it was the best brisket I've ever smoked!  And it should only get better from here!    Bill

I wish I had taken a pic of it, but I didn't get a chance.  It really looked good, great bark on it and nice color to it.  

I pulled it at 205 and let it rest for about 3 hours covered in towels and carved it about 10pm.  My wife and I had already 

ate dinner, but we couldn't stop eating that brisket!  And I picked the worst day to smoke.  Rain, cold front, shifting winds, etc.

At one point the wind went from south to north, and my FB faces the south, so I really had to crack open the vent.  Well, 3 hours 

later and the wind shifted back to the south, and I almost burned it up!  Came outside to 475 and freaked out.  So needless to say

I've done a few mods already.  I added a wind blocking plate to the FB door.  Hope it helps, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  

What do yall think?  Am I wasting my time with this?  I also added a clevis pin and spring to the vent, and a small handle 

you see poking out.   Much better control over the small piece of angle iron that was originally there.  

That's sweet. I don't know how it will affect your temps when there is no wind? I usually have my door slightly open and when my wood burns down to coals I will usually close it. But when its windy I usual just move my smoker around since it isn't the biggest and I'm not constrained to one spot. Let us know how it works out.

There is a guy on youtube called madscientistbbq and he has a oc brazos. Should check him out. Does some good videos.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky