Hello From Minnesota

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Meat&BeerGuy

Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Minnesota
Hello fellow meat smoking enthusiasts! I live in Minneapolis, MN and work for a local brewery in sales. I have been smoking meat on and off for a few years (mostly on a friend's Big Green Egg and a Weber Smoky Mountain I have up North at the family cabin). I am engaged and about to be married and buy a house with (hopefully) a nice big deck and that I intend to put a badass smoker/propane grill combo on (wedding gift from my pops hopefully, fingers crossed). My fiancee and I love to grill up chicken, salmon, burgers, veggies, etc on a whim and she is not the biggest fan of the charcoal set-up, thus the need for a propane feature. I prefer charcoal but if I am going to put a big piece of hardware in our new backyard/on the deck I need to compromise.... However, I love smoking brisket, ribs, pork, etc. and am looking for some guidance on what make/model would be best for us. I want to maximize surface area devoted to smoking but also have enough space over propane for an impromptu backyard BBQ with burgers and brats with neighbors/friends.... I have looked at some of the Smoke Hollow combo models, would love a Yoder but I don't think they do anything with Propane and pellets might be a tough sell to my fiancee.... Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Welcome! I think Smoke Hollow and Char-Griller are two of the only ones I know of that have the combo propane grill and charcoal smoker. Smoke Hollow has the offset firebox but the Char-Griller doesn't look like it does. Looks like you're cooking space is limited in the combo models.

For the money spent you might consider getting a separate gas grill and a smoker. Possibly either a MES or a vertical propane smoker. I have an MES40 and a Smoke Vault 24 and love both of them.

Welcome! I think Smoke Hollow and Char-Griller are two of the only ones I know of that have the combo propane grill and charcoal smoker. Smoke Hollow has the offset firebox but the Char-Griller doesn't look like it does. Looks like you're cooking space is limited in the combo models.

For the money spent you might consider getting a separate gas grill and a smoker. Possibly either a MES or a vertical propane smoker. I have an MES40 and a Smoke Vault 24 and love both of them.

Thank you very much for the reply, I will for sure check out the MES line. Cheers!

Char griller duo does have the side fire box. It's usually has to be bought separably. They're not a bad starter unit, but leak like a sieve and need constant attention and mod's.

Chris

Hello from one Minnesotan to another! What Brewery are you employed with? I would recommend buying a nicely used older Weber Genesis gas grill on craigslist which you can find for $200 or less right now. The older ones seem to be built better in my opinion which is what I have. These things are built to last, parts are available and they get hot. I would recommend buying a cover or keeping it stored in the garage. This will be perfect for all your grilling and searing needs.

I would also recommend buying a WSM or building an Ugly Drum smoker for all your smoking needs. The WSM can be found on craigslist for around $200 - $300 ,but you have to be quick to get it or you can build a UDS for under $200.

So.....for $400 or less you have a dedicated gas grill to keep the wife happy and a nice charcoal smoker that can cook 1 or 6 slabs of ribs at a time. There has been several occasions where I had the grill and smoker going at the same time.

A pellet smoker might be a good option also. Pitboss sells one for around $450 that has a sear function to use for grilling or low and slow for smoking.

I started with a 22.5" Weber Kettle a few years ago and caught the bug. Now I've got 5 smokers and building another shortly.

Hello from Far Northern California! Not to be confused with the rest of the state FYI :eek:).

Long time lurker and amateur backyard cooker. Currently working with a camp chef 24 and a 22in kettle with a slow and sear. Just ordered a rec tec 700 / The Bull for some some bigger cooks and cant wait to try out a pellet smoker after my months of research on them. Will be upgrading my membership ASAP to pay back for all the great information i have received from these forums. Can’t wait to join some of the discussions!

Mod if you could move this to the main roll call forum for me

Last edited:
Hello from Far Northern California! Not to be confused with the rest of the state FYI :eek:).
Yoder cheyenne
Long time lurker and amateur backyard cooker. Currently working with a camp chef 24 and a 22in kettle with a slow and sear. Just ordered a rec tec 700 / The Bull for some some bigger cooks and cant wait to try out a pellet smoker after my months of research on them. Will be upgrading my membership ASAP to pay back for all the great information i have received from these forums. Can’t wait to join some of the discussions!

Mod if you could move this to the main roll call forum for me

Thanks for the info! I am now realizing that I might need 2 separate units. Thinking I might just get an inexpensive propane grill and splurge on a Yoder Cheyenne.... Thoughts?

Hello from one Minnesotan to another! What Brewery are you employed with? I would recommend buying a nicely used older Weber Genesis gas grill on craigslist which you can find for $200 or less right now. The older ones seem to be built better in my opinion which is what I have. These things are built to last, parts are available and they get hot. I would recommend buying a cover or keeping it stored in the garage. This will be perfect for all your grilling and searing needs.

I would also recommend buying a WSM or building an Ugly Drum smoker for all your smoking needs. The WSM can be found on craigslist for around $200 - $300 ,but you have to be quick to get it or you can build a UDS for under $200.

So.....for $400 or less you have a dedicated gas grill to keep the wife happy and a nice charcoal smoker that can cook 1 or 6 slabs of ribs at a time. There has been several occasions where I had the grill and smoker going at the same time.

A pellet smoker might be a good option also. Pitboss sells one for around $450 that has a sear function to use for grilling or low and slow for smoking.

I started with a 22.5" Weber Kettle a few years ago and caught the bug. Now I've got 5 smokers and building another shortly.
I work for Surly. I think I am going to take your advice and get a solid used gas grill for everyday use and a smoker. I am not sure exactly what make/model but I will certainly be looking into your suggestions, cheers!

I've only been to Surly once. I'm not a big fan of IPA's , so their beer selection is limited for my taste buds. Great facility and I had their brisket when I went and it was very good. I see they are transforming the upstairs to a pizza joint. Might have to check it out!

There is a place in MN called Consolidated Container. They quoted me $50 for a new/ unlined drum which is very reasonable considering you know it's safe and there's no liner in it. I'll be buying one from them shortly and following these steps - https://www.fix.com/blog/building-an-ugly-drum-smoker/

I would recommend this style of Weber. Great for 2 people or cooking for 8. This is a pretty good deal I found.
weber.JPG

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cloudy, windy and warm day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky