Hello everyone, im s newbie here so please bear with me .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tonybsmokin

Original poster
May 19, 2020
Hi Y'all, I'm a meat eater, hope that's ok. Thinking about purchasing a smoker . I've used brinkman charcoal smokers and a meco electric smokers. I currently own a genesis 3 weber gas grill and a weber charcoal grill . I'm wanting a smoker that doesn't take up much room , because I'm running out of room. Maybe a vertical. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated

I'm thinking up to around $400.00 . Was thinking electric but after reading reviews maybe propane. I need something big enough to cook 4 slabs of ribs , or a full brisket. Maybe even 2 pork butts

I'm not sure I want a starter , I'm thinking once I get one I want to keep it for awhile . And not go through the ( I wish I would have got something different first ). I have looked at the pit boss 5 , but the reviews aren't as good as I hoped

What pellet smoker did you get? I'm thinking the pb 5 . I have a friend that has one and never had a problem. I do like the electric smokers that have 2 doors as well. Put I dont think they are pellets, I believe chips.

I got the louisiana grills vertical smoker at costco. It is the same as the pit boss series 7. I have done several cooks on it and have had no issues. Temps run pretty close to the set temp. If you have any questions just pm me glad to answer any you have

Lot of MES users on here that have had their units for many many years, myself included. Some have done modifications and others very few to get it where they like for operation. An electric is going to be cheaper to operate. Good luck on your decision.

Thank you, may I ask ,do you get the smoke level you want and does the MES give you the smoke ring and the bark?

Smoke ring is almost non existent with electric or propane...

You say you have a weber charcoal grill... what size ? The Weber's work awesome for smoking... If you do a search you'll find MANY of the members use the 22" kettel to smoke with...

Reactions: Tonybsmokin
With the mes you will not get a smoke ring. You can get good smoke flavor and bark. With the pellet i get the ring and smoke i like. With the pellet the higher the temp the less smoke you get. Some put a lit pellet tube in to get more smoke. You can also just smoke at a lower temp for a few hours then turn the temp up on the pellet. You can also use stronger smoke wood pellets like 100% hickory. On the mes many have done a mailbox mod with the amazn maze with pellets to extend the smoke time. If you just use the regular chip tray you will need to add chips about every hour. I did the mailbox mod and it did well. Just more items to deal with. I had the mes for years before getting the new pellet this spring. Hope this helps. If you have more questions just ask.

I, too, would recommend the MES. I've had a MES 30, with upgrades, for years and love it. Judging from what you want to cook in it, I'd say a MES 40 would work nicely. I've added the mailbox mod with an AMNPS (pellet tray) for plenty of smoke. No smoke ring, but they're just for looks anyway.
If I ever get a second smoker, it will be a Weber Smokey Mountain. No question about that. But the MES will still be my primary.
Gary

Not sure what size it is off hand, I think it's the biggest kettle they have . It's not black is more of a copper color

With the mes you will not get a smoke ring. You can get good smoke flavor and bark. With the pellet i get the ring and smoke i like. With the pellet the higher the temp the less smoke you get. Some put a lit pellet tube in to get more smoke. You can also just smoke at a lower temp for a few hours then turn the temp up on the pellet. You can also use stronger smoke wood pellets like 100% hickory. On the mes many have done a mailbox mod with the amazn maze with pellets to extend the smoke time. If you just use the regular chip tray you will need to add chips about every hour. I did the mailbox mod and it did well. Just more items to deal with. I had the mes for years before getting the new pellet this spring. Hope this helps. If you have more questions just ask.
Thank you

I, too, would recommend the MES. I've had a MES 30, with upgrades, for years and love it. Judging from what you want to cook in it, I'd say a MES 40 would work nicely. I've added the mailbox mod with an AMNPS (pellet tray) for plenty of smoke. No smoke ring, but they're just for looks anyway.
If I ever get a second smoker, it will be a Weber Smokey Mountain. No question about that. But the MES will still be my primary.
Gary
Thsnks Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky