Greetings from Wyoming via WA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

displacedhick

Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
WA
Just wanted to say hi on this forum. I am a hick originally from WY now living in NW Washington. I recently escaped from Kansas, although I really do miss Gates BBQ. The weather and lack of mountains just wasn't for me I guess.

I have been smoking for about 2 years now but I consider myself still learning. I use a Char-griller combo (gas, charcoal, and side fire box). When I smoke I use a combination of charcoal and wood chunks, mostly hickory and mesquite woods since that is usually all I can find around here.

I do have a few questions I would like to ask now. Recently I was roped into "volunteering" to smoke for a displaced Texan, and since the rub provided was really good and this was to be dry rather than wet bbq I didn't protest too much. Now I find that word has spread and there are 15-18 people looking to attend. My smoker can handle about 3 racks of ribs, 4 if I really squeeze them together which I don't like doing. What would you recommend as a way of preparing the meat in advance and getting everything heated up for everyone? I was also thinking about smoking a brisket to lessen the number of racks needed a so should I smoke the brisket first and reheat?

Looking forward to another summer filled with smoke, now that the rain is slacking off.

Welcome to SMF.
smile.gif
If you don't already have some, I would suggest you look at getting some rib racks. I'm not familiar with your smoker but if you can stand the ribs up they take up less room. I've done brisket as well as butts ahead of time and either kept them warm or reheated them in the crockpot with their juices. It works great.

Welcome to the SMF.

I would pre cook the ribs cut into individual bones. Put into a full size pan and cover with foil, then refridgerate. At the event just re warm on the propane side of your grill and serve. Good luck

Welcome Mr.Displaced. sounds like your lookin for different woods to use. i use mainegrillingwoods.com, free shipping to boot!!!

welcome, I agree on the rib rack, look around the net and you can probably figure out how to bend one up yourself if you can't find one locally.

Welcome to the SMF. The rib rack may be a viable option. Good luck my friend.

Hello DispacedHick, and welcome to the SMF family. Glad you joined us. I would have suggested the rib racks if my esteemed colleagues hadn't beat me to it
wink.gif

Welcome to the forum.
Guess by now I don't need to agree that the rib rack is an excellent idea.
Not sure your full setup but you could also even do them a bit ahead of time and throw onto a grill to reheat, though if they are only dry rubbed I would add caution to reheating over an open flame due to the possibility of the rub burning, or reheat in foil.

I believe it was Tip who said he always keeps some either brisket or pulled pork in vacuum sealed bags and in the freezer, then drops them into boiling water to reheat. I'll attempt to find the post with that in it but if anyone remembers exactly what it was that might be helpful.
Good luck.

Ok...
travcoman45 says...

Full post here...
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...=boilin&page=2

Not that you are freezing, just thought the bag idea may help you, dunno...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky