Greetings from new member...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jwed980

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Hello All,

My name is John.

This is a great forum with information from the most basic to the most advanced, so there's something here for for everyone. Thanks to the creator(s), and to all who have contributed their knowledge and experiences. Perhaps I too may find something useful to contribute in the future.

I've been smoking for decades. I can't say it's been a "hobby" for me. I've not done any research (until recently). "KISS" methodology and common sense have allowed me to enjoy acceptable results for the most part. At least, my family and a few close friends seem to enjoy the results of my efforts (based on their feedback).

I started with a home-built rotisserie for cooking whole turkeys over a campfire, just as I had watched my father do many times. I had an employer who generously contracted a local turkey farm to deliver a truckload of fresh turkeys to the company every year at Thanksgiving, one for each and every employee.

Late November weather here is always unpredictable, and many times it was nearly impossible to get the job done right given the weather conditions - even despite my best efforts and ingenuity.

I graduated to a vertical propane smoker upon my wife's suggestion years ago, and started using pellets at that time. It's definitely a simpler method over the rotisserie, and can produce a stronger smoke flavor as well (not a bad thing in my case).

I could write another long detailed paragraph about the mileage we get from a single smoked turkey, but this introduction has already become longer than intended, so I will stop now.

Let it suffice to say that I'm here because of a foray into other smoking methods, ideas and equipment modifications.

Thanks for reading,

John

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good afternoon John and welcome to the forum from a warm and cloudy November day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

John, welcome to SMF! Glad you're here and bringing the turkey experience with you. I've been watching our guest count grow daily, and its apparent a LOT of people want to smoke turkeys for TG. You're right on time.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm...smoked turkey & dumpling noodle soup...smoked turkey vegetable stew with cabbage & peeled tomatoes...New Orleans-style Gumbo (made from roux) with smoked turkey and Andouille

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky