Greetings from Atlanta....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Atlcon1

Original poster
Jan 6, 2018
Atlanta
Greetings all -- I've been reading the forum for a while and "borrowing" everyone's techniques over the years. So on behalf of me, my family and friends, we all thank you for contributions to the deliciousness of our dining experiences over the years :)

I grew up helping my dad bbq on a converted 55 gallon drum and later, a really big, Big Green Egg. I've never looked back.

My most memorable grilling moment was breaking out my old Weber kettle during the blackout in NYC back in 2003. I didn't want my food in the fridge to go bad, so I rolled the grill out in front of my townhouse and started grilling. And over the course of the evening, everyone in the brownstones up and down the street started bringing their food down and it ultimately turned into a neighborhood block party.

I'm in a weird spot now -- I became vegetarian in mid-2017, but I never lost my passion for the grill. I can still comment on texture and appearance, but since I can't taste things myself now, insights on different tips are more important than ever since I can't do my usual taste tests. But the kids and the Mrs. are brutally honest about everything, so they're a good barometer for how things are going.

Right now, I've got a Dyno-Glo dual chamber grill for grilling and some basic, indirect heat "smoking." But my baby right now is my Old Country BBQ over and under smoker.

Happy to be here!

Welcome aboard, you may be the only vegetarian on site, but there is a forum for fruits, nuts and vegetables that you may find interesting. My son is an faux-vegetarian, as he doesn't always stick to the diet. When he came over for a thanksgiving visit I grabbed a bunch of lawn debris, burned it with a torch and plated it for him. We both got a chuckle. Don't hesitate to chime in.

Chirs

Welcome to SMF!
I was a vegan for over 25 years, then I slowly started introducing meat back into my diet.
We still eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I've come to learn that moderation is the key, I keep my portions small & some days are totally meat free.
Al

Welcome to SMF!
I was a vegan for over 25 years, then I slowly started introducing meat back into my diet.
We still eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I've come to learn that moderation is the key, I keep my portions small & some days are totally meat free.
Al

Guys - thanks for the welcome. As we speak, I have 12 lbs. of spare ribs on the O/U smoker and I am following Smokinal's perfect ribs method from way back when. Needless to say, the family is more than excited about dinner tonight
:)

And I hear you on the moderation thing. I cut back a lot several years ago and combined with weight training, I really got back in shape. But over the last 4 or 5 years, my gym trips have become few and far between, so cutting out the animal based proteins has helped tremendously from a weight perspective. I'm down 18 lbs since October, though I feel I really need to get back in the gym as I have weighed way more before and been in much better health. But I digress...

Thanks again for the welcome all. I will be sure to post some pics...

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from drizzley chilly day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky