gas grill flame distance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i grill a lot of steaks and over the years have had several different grills but the one thing that bugs me is the flame is to far away to get a good char on the steaks , is there a grill made where to burner is closer to the cooking surface ?

Reactions: Will Squared
Not sure if there is a grill that way but I bet you would really like a sear burner. I fit this in the old Jenn Air. Night and day difference. A little sheet metal work but not hard at all.

Some of the nicer grills have a sear burner on them that can get pretty high in temp. Check out the weber's. My solution to this problem has been to get the grill hot as hell before I put the room temp steaks on. 600 degrees or more. Gets a pretty nice char on each side. If still not done can move to the top rock until you get to your desired IT.

i grill a lot of steaks and over the years have had several different grills but the one thing that bugs me is the flame is to far away to get a good char on the steaks , is there a grill made where to burner is closer to the cooking surface ?
there are grills out there that sear well just look around the masterbuilt 560 goes to 700 degrees and sears well

For the best sear, fan dry the protein (pellicle).

Not sure if you want another toy, but there is also this:

Sorry probably my fault. Sear burner in my first post is a CalFlame BBQ07890P-A Sear Zone Burner and other link is for a infrared propane broiler NORTHFIRE Inferno Single Propane Infrared Grill.

The M560 sears on the principle of the Leaf Blower/ Trash Can Furnace.
The Thing really Rocks !

i did look that thing up and ...... i refuse to cook with anything that uses a telephone to use/monitor and comes with an instruction book on how to cook with it ......when i cook/grill/smoke, all i want is...... heat ....meat ...fork

• Haha
I haven't used the phone ap and didn't read the manual.
I like to to tinker with the bbq
and the 560 likes to Rock & Roll.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky