FNG....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crna7

Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
Another new guy here... I just moved to southern Illinois post grad school and am discovering my hobbies (new and old). I have enjoyed this forum over the last few weeks after buying my MES 30 Bluetooth (with legs and top left vent). I mastered the grill through anesthesia school and the wife has always been happy but smoking on a propane grill always left me unsatisfied a new smoker was one of my first purchases.

After doing a couple racks of babybacks a week ago I realized I need to consult the experts, so I've been studying. I bought a 5x8 amazen pellet smoker and am struggling to figure out exactly how to place it in my MES. I have endlessly searched here and the google machine without definitive answers. IS shoved next to the heating element, yet still about 1.5-2" off the drip pan appropriate? Or should I place it on the left side of rack directly above the water bowl? Depending upon which I choose (or you direct me), do I need to foil the grate above to prevent drippings and if so does it affect the dispersion of heat to the meat above? 

I have pictures to show the locations that I am attempting to explain but I am handcuffed to show them and based on the countless threads I've read and learned from I bet you all know exactly what I am describing. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to becoming a contributing member even if it's for my epic fails and entertainment! Thank you!

Another new guy here... I just moved to southern Illinois post grad school and am discovering my hobbies (new and old). I have enjoyed this forum over the last few weeks after buying my MES 30 Bluetooth (with legs and top left vent). I mastered the grill through anesthesia school and the wife has always been happy but smoking on a propane grill always left me unsatisfied a new smoker was one of my first purchases.

After doing a couple racks of babybacks a week ago I realized I need to consult the experts, so I've been studying. I bought a 5x8 amazen pellet smoker and am struggling to figure out exactly how to place it in my MES. I have endlessly searched here and the google machine without definitive answers. IS shoved next to the heating element, yet still about 1.5-2" off the drip pan appropriate? Or should I place it on the left side of rack directly above the water bowl? Depending upon which I choose (or you direct me), do I need to foil the grate above to prevent drippings and if so does it affect the dispersion of heat to the meat above? 

I have pictures to show the locations that I am attempting to explain but I am handcuffed to show them and based on the countless threads I've read and learned from I bet you all know exactly what I am describing. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to becoming a contributing member even if it's for my epic fails and entertainment! Thank you!
Put the bottom rack in (just above the water pan), and put your AMNPS all the way to the left on that bottom rack.

The bottom rack is too close to the heat for meat anyway. IMHO

Cover your actual Water Pan & your bottom Drip pan with foil to allow for occasional easy cleaning. Poke a hole in the foil covering the bottom drip pan to allow drippings to get to the drain.

Bear

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a sunny and warm  day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Good advice above

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky