First Time Cheese: Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good Afternoon

Since it feels like -1*F currently outside and snowing again, I figured it was a great time to try my hand at cold smoking some cheese.

I have some Marble Jack, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, and Mild Cheddar. I put them on a rack.

06FB5627-DBC1-4097-92E0-62C51CEB6870.jpeg

I am using the Weber Spirit today, with some guts removed. I have a Amazen Pellet Smoker Tube, filled with Traeger Apple Pellets, in the bottom of the grill.

The cheese has been on for about 45 minutes now.

53FB5A4B-366F-48DC-A726-CCF99A0365BD.jpeg

E221A071-4FD9-45DC-B0CD-8DE872ED28C2.jpeg

My plan is to let it smoke for about 3 hours.

Any tips or suggestions for a first timer?

More to come...

3 Hours with apple will give good results. Just remember to let it age :)

Thank you. What do you suggest for when I pull it off? I plan to try a little bit right away, and then I was planning to wrap in plastic or bag and then into the fridge for a week or so. Thoughts?

So far, I think I am going to really like smoking cheese. I tried just a little, and it was really good and smokey. I think it would go great with some smoked sausage.

Total time in the smoke was around 3 hours, and I used Traeger Apple pellets the entire time. I had to fill up my Amazen tube after 2 hours.

I wrapped all of the cheese in some plastic wrap, put in ziplocks, and it is now sitting in the fridge.

453B7271-8BA2-40C1-8AEA-31E3D06D536C.jpeg

C6EC464D-0D36-46D2-A74A-5DB06C5142FD.jpeg

B1BE701B-F0DB-4DE2-B08D-9BB7F9E34531.jpeg

Some people swear by it for alot of smoked products. It lets some of the more bitter flavours immediately dissipate as I understand. <Sorry for not responding earlier, I'm fighting some thing or another. I never knew just making dinner could make you tired until I get these darn fevers!>

Also pepperjack <and any cheese with peppers> gets hotter after smoking and will continue to do so over time.

Cheese smoking is addicting. I started cold smoking cheese a couple of weeks ago. I vacuum pack mine. Tried a little today. Mellowing out nicely. Got about 20 blocks smoked so far.

I'm a bit late here, but the cheese should be air dryed in the fridge for 24 hours, then you can vac pack it & it will last for a couple of years in the fridge.
Al

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky