First Butt Ever - ECB Marathon Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

overground

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Ventura County, CA
Hi again.

First off, I would like to disclose that I can afford a WSM (but haven't pulled the trigger), and also own an MES30, but choose to torture myself.

I look at continuing to use the ECB (standard modified) akin to "paying my dues" so to speak.

My first brisket ever (also on my ECB), turned out fantastic, so I figured a butt would be easy....WRONG!

Ok, so Friday night, I do some light fat trimming and score the cap, rub the 8lb. butt with yellow mustard, brown sugar, and Bad Byron's. Then wrap and place it back in the fridge.

Saturday morning 8:30 am:

Pull the butt out, and get to setting up the ECB.

Put a foil pan 1/2 full of water on 2nd rack, actual ECB water pan filled with sand and covered with foil.

Start soaking pecan chunks (which I hate to do, but it makes the flare-ups more manageable).

Set up a minion ring using Ozark Oak lump.

Add 1/4 chimney to ring center.

Get the ET-732 probes in place.

Wait for temps to come down...and wait....and wait some more.

Got to nearly 600* before it started to ease off.

My Redneck Tie ECB (phrase coined by dirtsailor2003  here)

Saturday morning 10:30am:

Temp finally down to 300* and dropping, so I decide to throw on the meat.

Got it fairly steady at 225* - 250* after the waiting and some work.

I decide to spritz the butt every hour (or so) with a mixture of apple cider, apple cider vinegar, Guinness stout and worcestershire.

I then remember to take some pictures at the first spritzing.

11:30am:

12:45pm:

1:45pm: I found a dead, dry branch on an apple tree I have...so what the hell? I'll throw a little of that in.

2:00pm: Spritzing...everything moving along smoothly. Decide it's time to start drinking, probably not the best idea, hindsight being what it is.  ;)

My ugly purple smoking shirt:

3pm:

Everyone decides to come outside and hang out with Daddy.

4:15pm:

5:15pm:

7:15pm: You can tell by the pics from here on out that the amount of beverages consumed may be affecting my photo abilities.

8:20pm:

9:15pm: Taking much longer than I thought, but still truckin' along. I stopped feeding wood at around IT of 155*.

11:40pm:

Sunday morning 12(something)am: I'm not totally positive but I think somewhere around this time I'd had enough, brought the remote (temp alarms set) with me, and passed out. My lady was still up with her friends as she had company over. Thank God they brought a porterhouse that I had quickly grilled on my gasser earlier in the evening.

2:45am: Wake up in a panic....remote is nowhere to be found!!!

Run out to the garage. Ask the lady, "WHERE THE F is the remote??!!!???"

"Oh, I put it down on the counter in the kitchen."

Wonderful.

Check temps.

Meat had gone from 180* down to 167*

Grill temp @ 128* Fire out.

I'm not happy (to put it mildly).

3:00am: Start another 1/2 full chimney of lump and make sure temps are stable.

4:00am: Go back to bed and tell her she's coming with me.

7:00am: Get a grill temp alarm...get up and add more lump. Go back to bed.

9:15am: Get a 200* IT temp alarm. Snooze alarm to 203* IT. Go back to sleep.

9:45am: 203* reached!!

Foil > Towel > Cooler to rest.

10:00am: Made a mustard sauce

11:15am: Unwrap, slice and pull.

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Made sadwiches, grabbed and dipped....you name it. Turned out incredibly moist and a huge hit.

Total time (Fire start to eat) = 28 hours.

Total cook time (meat on to off of grill) = 22 hours 45 minutes.

Not at all what I was expecting...then again, some unexpected things happened.

Thanks for reading. :-)

Last edited:
OG!  You da man!!! Great looking pork and nice looking family as well!

I quit spritzing several years ago because if you're lookin you ain't cookin!  What I mean is that every time you open that smoker you loose temp and cooking time.

Also, a tip for your next smoke - I love lump charcoal, but it burns hotter and faster that briquettes. I use lump for ribs; however, when I'm doing a long smoke I use briquettes - typically Stubbs all natural.  Just something to think about for next time.

Great Job!!!!!

Bill

Reactions: overground
That is a bummer. Had something similar happen on a 16# Brisket
102.gif
. Glad it turned out good
Looks-Great.gif
. You can reduce the time by wrapping in heavy duty aluminum foil at 150 or 155 and add about 1/2 cup (3 - 4 oz.) of apple juice and apple cider vinegar (or whatever you like). It will power through the enormously long stall I seem to get with pork shoulders. Take it down to about 16 - 18 hours for the cook time. 

Looks Fantastic!!! Why trade in something that keeps producing such fine looking smoked food!! You do know it's all because of that neck tie!!! Get rid of that and the food won't be the same!

OG!  You da man!!! Great looking pork and nice looking family as well!

I quit spritzing several years ago because if you're lookin you ain't cookin!  What I mean is that every time you open that smoker you loose temp and cooking time.

Also, a tip for your next smoke - I love lump charcoal, but it burns hotter and faster that briquettes. I use lump for ribs; however, when I'm doing a long smoke I use briquettes - typically Stubbs all natural.  Just something to think about for next time.

Great Job!!!!!

Bill
Thanks for the kind words and the tips. I was highly tempted to inject it prior to cooking also...but decided to hold off on that.

Re: The spritzing. That's probably why my brisket turned out so well (and didn't take all night). I didn't lift the lid the whole cook (and as such, had no idea what it looked like) until it was to temp. I don't think I will do the spritzing again.

Re: Lump vs charcoal. Thank you. I've suspected the lump was the culprit for the higher temps. I will get some Stubbs for next time if I can find it in So. CA.
That is a bummer. Had something similar happen on a 16# Brisket
102.gif
. Glad it turned out good
Looks-Great.gif
. You can reduce the time by wrapping in heavy duty aluminum foil at 150 or 155 and add about 1/2 cup (3 - 4 oz.) of apple juice and apple cider vinegar (or whatever you like). It will power through the enormously long stall I seem to get with pork shoulders. Take it down to about 16 - 18 hours for the cook time. 
Thanks for the compliment.

I was also contemplating wrapping as you said, but was worried about steaming the bark. Although that's essentially what I was doing when I rested afterwards, just not as extreme.

Thanks for the pointers. :)
Looks Fantastic!!! Why trade in something that keeps producing such fine looking smoked food!! You do know it's all because of that neck tie!!! Get rid of that and the food won't be the same!
Like I said in my brisket thread, because of you (credit given), I will never permanently affix the rope gasket. And you're right...why spend $ unnecessarily on a WSM, when this is so much fun and the results are great. You're my hero. ;)
Oh I remember my first one....it was a killer...Yours looks great !!!!
Thanks Roller...I love this forum.

Wow!!!  I am astounded by your times!!  Would you believe the coincidence of my doing a pork shoulder today for pulled pork on my ECB.  I was running around the 275 to 300 mark, put it on at 7:30 this morning and pulled it at around 3:30 pm in the afternoon with the IT at 205.  I cannot fathom what caused you to go to 22+ hours?!?! (maybe it was the beer...Ha! Ha!)

- I have done all the normal mod's to the ECB

- I have drilled more holes to the charcoal pan than the mod's say

- I use only charcoal chunks

- I add whatever smoke chunks I decide to use (soaked), which today was mostly mesquite

- I use the Minion method to start it up, with ignited chunks from a chimney

- I follow IT with the 732

- I use a combination rub of Mad Hunky/Applewood/Cabelas

- I took the shoulder to 165, put it in a sealed aluminum tray with some beef broth/Guiness/Worchestershire/apple juice to 195 and bare on the grill to 205 degrees

We are not that far apart in method......what would cause that much time difference?

On my Electric Brinkman....will not forget the 20 hour one I did...and I foiled it too!  There are just some of those butts that just want to be BUTS!
30.gif

No more spritz, no foil, no water in the pan, and for love of good bark no injecting!! Keep it simple and let the TBS take control!!! That Redneck Tie ECB is smoking machine, with a mind of its own!

Wow!!!  I am astounded by your times!!  Would you believe the coincidence of my doing a pork shoulder today for pulled pork on my ECB.  I was running around the 275 to 300 mark, put it on at 7:30 this morning and pulled it at around 3:30 pm in the afternoon with the IT at 205.  I cannot fathom what caused you to go to 22+ hours?!?! (maybe it was the beer...Ha! Ha!)

- I have done all the normal mod's to the ECB

- I have drilled more holes to the charcoal pan than the mod's say

- I use only charcoal chunks

- I add whatever smoke chunks I decide to use (soaked), which today was mostly mesquite

- I use the Minion method to start it up, with ignited chunks from a chimney

- I follow IT with the 732

- I use a combination rub of Mad Hunky/Applewood/Cabelas

- I took the shoulder to 165, put it in a sealed aluminum tray with some beef broth/Guiness/Worchestershire/apple juice to 195 and bare on the grill to 205 degrees

We are not that far apart in method......what would cause that much time difference?
Hi deanoaz.

Yeah, we are pretty close in our methods and equipment.

I, too, have more holes drilled in my charcoal pan...but I also have a rather large damper on the bottom.

That was one area I was questioning during this smoke. I was thinking about maybe next time, filling the extra holes with bolts and washers.

That would give me better control of my air intake. And if the effects were negative, I could always take the bolts out.

Differences that may have prolonged my smoke.

1. Spritzing: I will probably never do that again, although temp drops were barely noticeable after lifting the lid.

2. You foiled at 165...I probably should have.

3. The coals died. But still, that happened long after I had anticipated the butt to be done, so I have to lean towards #1 as the main culprit.

4. Just may have been KathrynN's quote below.  ;)
On my Electric Brinkman....will not forget the 20 hour one I did...and I foiled it too!  There are just some of those butts that just want to be BUTS!
30.gif
That may just be it. The smoke would have probably been closer to 20 hours if not for the "hiccups".
No more spritz, no foil, no water in the pan, and for love of good bark no injecting!! Keep it simple and let the TBS take control!!! That Redneck Tie ECB is smoking machine, with a mind of its own!
Roger that. I'm gonna tattoo your quote on my lady's a** so that I'll never forget it. :-P

Hi deanoaz.

Yeah, we are pretty close in our methods and equipment.

I, too, have more holes drilled in my charcoal pan...but I also have a rather large damper on the bottom.

That was one area I was questioning during this smoke. I was thinking about maybe next time, filling the extra holes with bolts and washers.

That would give me better control of my air intake. And if the effects were negative, I could always take the bolts out.

Differences that may have prolonged my smoke.

1. Spritzing: I will probably never do that again, although temp drops were barely noticeable after lifting the lid.

2. You foiled at 165...I probably should have.

3. The coals died. But still, that happened long after I had anticipated the butt to be done, so I have to lean towards #1 as the main culprit.

4. Just may have been KathrynN's quote below.  ;)

That may just be it. The smoke would have probably been closer to 20 hours if not for the "hiccups".

Roger that. I'm gonna tattoo your quote on my lady's a** so that I'll never forget it. :-P
I have read your whole experience over twice and I think the three causes were 1) Too many spritzes lost your heat; you got a lot heavier bark than I did, so that may be a positive out of it. I spritzed twice and turned the meat over at the same time. 2) Losing the fire sure didn't do you any favors going for the touchdown and 3) I have found that foiling reduces the time, since you are essentially braising/brewing the meat and I think that speeds it up.  I also like to put the butt/shoulder in an aluminum tray (covered with foil) as opposed to wrapping it in foil.  Keeps the liquid contained with the drippings and makes it easier for later use as a thin sauce to put over the pulled pork later.

Last edited:
I have read your whole experience over twice and I think the three causes were 1) Too many spritzes lost your heat; you got a lot heavier bark than I did, so that may be a positive out of it. I spritzed twice and turned the meat over at the same time. 2) Losing the fire sure didn't do you any favors going for the touchdown and 3) I have found that foiling reduces the time, since you are essentially braising/brewing the meat and I think that speeds it up.  I also like to put the butt/shoulder in an aluminum tray (covered with foil) as opposed to wrapping it in foil.  Keeps the liquid contained with the drippings and makes it easier for later use as a thin sauce to put over the pulled pork later.
Yep, you're probably right on all accounts.

I never turned the meat over, though.

Unless I'm going to sear (pre or reverse), I cook fat side up on all my roasts (mostly tri-tip) and have been for years.

I once did a comparison on similar tri-tips (size and seasoning), and after searing both initially, I kept one fat side up the whole time and flipped the other every 1/2 hour.

The one that was just left alone turned out noticeably juicier.

And right again, this butt bark turned out much better than I had anticipated.

My jaw dropped when I opened the lid at 203* and saw that.

EDIT: I just added 2 more pics under the unwrapping section.

Last edited:
It looks like a great time to me! Yeah you can do them more quickly, with more finesse and on better equipment. But, you'll always have the memory of that !@#$%$#$%^%$$$$%^&^%ing first pork butt you ever did that took 23 HOURS!! And tasted great. I'm gonna call this one a success and throw in my nomination for the front page carousel. GOOD JOB!!!

It looks like a great time to me! Yeah you can do them more quickly, with more finesse and on better equipment. But, you'll always have the memory of that !@#$%$#$%^%$$$$%^&^%ing first pork butt you ever did that took 23 HOURS!! And tasted great. I'm gonna call this one a success and throw in my nomination for the front page carousel. GOOD JOB!!!
Thank you! And in reality (competitions excluded), no matter how long it takes, what really matters is the end result.
Beautiful Butt...

I'd say you paid your dues....Go get the WSM!!!

~Brett
Thanks Brett. I'll give this cheapie a few more rounds, then come Spring/Early Summer, I'll go ahead and shell out the $540 for the WSM + IQ110.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky