First Attempt at Pulled Pork this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Beautiful job on those pork butts. The PP looks great!!

Sounds to me like your problem with the AMNPS is lack of oxygen--not enough air flow. You might want to read up on the Mailbox Mod and give that a try. I had to add a mailbox mod to my MES 30 before I could get excellent performance from my AMNPS.

POINT

Gary

Looks awesome. The only issue I see is how clean that smoker is currently :ROTF

So the pork was a big hit. I did mixed in the pan drippings from the meat and apple juice and god was it tasty. I did a smaller batch with finishing sauce mixed in. It was a split vote lol, have preferred the meat drippings and half devoured the batch with finishing. The loved it all. 

I have to say it was so good that it pained me to see someone drown it in BBQ lol, but to each their own. 

I am definitely going to work at figuring out the AMPS for the next run. I definitely think part of it boils down to better ventilation. I believe that next time I will also try at least one butt without wrapping. That crispy bark I sampled when I pulled to wrap was superior to the softer bark post wrapping for my tastes. 

Thanks again all for all the help. I have a few cool new ideas for smoker projects incorporating some different spices and cultures coming soon  I think. 

So the pork was a big hit. I did mixed in the pan drippings from the meat and apple juice and god was it tasty. I did a smaller batch with finishing sauce mixed in. It was a split vote lol, have preferred the meat drippings and half devoured the batch with finishing. The loved it all. 

I have to say it was so good that it pained me to see someone drown it in BBQ lol, but to each their own.
Your comment about BBQ sauce on pulled pork reminds me of how some people feel about those who put A-1 or ketchup on a steak. I too really like the taste of the defatted drippings on pulled pork, and have figured out a lot of ways to maximize how much of that liquid gold I can get from each smoke.

Having said that, there IS one BBQ sauce that is absolutely delicious with pulled pork and that is Jeff's BBQ sauce. You can buy the recipe from him (it comes "for free" when you buy the recipes for his two rubs). It is simply the best BBQ sauce I've ever had, and seems to be tailor-made for pulled pork.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky