Dry brine confusion...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
I have never done a dry brine on my meats....I typically will do wet marinades....however, occasionally my wife will buy very thick ribeyes for special occasions, and sometimes I feel like they could do well with a dry brine.....that being said, there's something that's always confused me.
We typically like flavors other than just standard SPG on steaks.... I really love testing out various commercial seasonings and rubs. So my question is, can you properly dry brine a piece of meat just by putting on whatever commercial rub you're wanting to use as long as it contains salt? Or does dry brining have to be done with salt alone? Thanks.

Just did a 1 1/2 inch New York. All I did was sprinkle with kosher salt on both sides and let sit for a couple of hours. Rinsed the salt off, pat dried it and put it on the grill and cooked till 130 internal and let it rest a couple of minutes before slicing. I like the taste of meat, not fancy rubs

I have never done a dry brine on my meats....I typically will do wet marinades....however, occasionally my wife will buy very thick ribeyes for special occasions, and sometimes I feel like they could do well with a dry brine.....that being said, there's something that's always confused me.
We typically like flavors other than just standard SPG on steaks.... I really love testing out various commercial seasonings and rubs. So my question is, can you properly dry brine a piece of meat just by putting on whatever commercial rub you're wanting to use as long as it contains salt? Or does dry brining have to be done with salt alone? Thanks.
Yes you can! Dry brining is mostly about giving the salt time to work it's way into the meat at a cellular level. Initially it will release moisture but will reabsorb most of it after the salt has time to do it's thing. Then the meat will hold onto more of the moisture when it is cooked. I don't think anything other than the salt will penetrate the surface of the meat very much but it does help it adhere to the surface during cooking. I always give it a light dusting of the seasoning before it hits the grill.
The dry brining part with salt is proven science. The rest is my opinion. Give it a go. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Reactions: bgaviator
That is what I do. I a big fan of Hardcore Carnivore: Black for steaks. I season in the morning or even overnight. Seems to make a big difference to me. Now if it where a prime steak I would keep it simple.

I'll add rub a couple hours before hitting the grill. I use Montreal Steak of Jeff TX rub most often.

I´d go with Bearded Butcher Blend Seasoning, season your steak with an average amount, and either vacuum seal it or place it on a drying rack, for 24h. That will do the trick👍👍

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky