Does anyone have experience with using High Mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Was looking at High Mountain buckboard bacon cure and was wondering if anyone is familiar with it? Ive used a bunch of their other products and have always been really pleased! Any info is appreciate as I have never attempted this type of thing before!

Reactions: JLeonard
Years ago when the Buckboard craze began, Hi Mountain Cure was very popular because people newer to home curing were hesitant about using Cure #1 and wanted a pre-mixed product. HM products are made in Wyoming, so they are readily available in many of my stores.

Some common complaints included 'too salty' because the HM instructions do not call for a soak-out step, or an overnight rest to prepare the meat for the smoker. Also the instructions did not mention curing loins or chops. Below is an article where I explained some fine tuning I've made to the curing instructions and a few tips I learned over the years.

Years ago when the Buckboard craze began, Hi Mountain Cure was very popular because people newer to home curing were hesitant about using Cure #1 and wanted a pre-mixed product. HM products are made in Wyoming, so they are readily available in many of my stores.

Some common complaints included 'too salty' because the HM instructions do not call for a soak-out step, or an overnight rest to prepare the meat for the smoker. Also the instructions did not mention curing loins or chops. Below is an article where I explained some fine tuning I've made to the curing instructions and a few tips I learned over the years.

Thank you! VERY informative! I appreciate it

You mentioned that it is available in many of your stores. Can I purchase it from you? I would rather give my business to you than just ordering it from Hi Mountain!

Consider rolling your own spice blends. I know you asked for opinions on a premade spice blend, but I have found that the results are better doing my own.

Reactions: tallbm
You mentioned that it is available in many of your stores. Can I purchase it from you? I would rather give my business to you than just ordering it from Hi Mountain!
The kit is now $11, and then shipping costs would come into play. I'll be glad to send you some, but first.... look at my link in Post #6, I have a Tender Quick based cure recipe that is a good alternative. It's much more affordable, and Tender Quick is somewhat common.

And I just looked at Amazon and if you are a Prime member a BBB kit is $14 with free shipping, this is likely a lower price option.

Consider rolling your own spice blends. I know you asked for opinions on a premade spice blend, but I have found that the results are better doing my own.
I second this if you can pick out the flavoring.
Hi Mountain is way to salty for my taste.
Sorry, don't have a blend to post. Don't make beef bacon and my forgot my recipe book in Florida

I second this if you can pick out the flavoring.
Hi Mountain is way to salty for my taste.
Sorry, don't have a blend to post. Don't make beef bacon and my forgot my recipe book in Florida
Salt is cheap so most pre-blended are heavy on the cheapest ingredient. Mainly what started me on doing my own in the first place. I don't probably go as low as you do, but my own mixes have no more than 1.5% salt (1.75% if cured).

So, I used thirdeye thirdeye tenderquick recipe on a pork butt........and im a big fan! Turned out fantastic!
20240217_121208.jpg

20240217_121220.jpg

20240217_121437.jpg

20240217_144819.jpg

20240217_144823.jpg

20240217_145112.jpg

20240217_145137.jpg

20240217_145636.jpg

20240217_181952.jpg

Looks great, glad it turned out to your liking. Just curious, what was your soak out time?

The money muscle roast is one of my favorites. When I make sausage or plain ground pork I always trim out that roast, and grind the rest.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Looks great, glad it turned out to your liking. Just curious, what was your soak out time?

The money muscle roast is one of my favorites. When I make sausage or plain ground pork I always trim out that roast, and grind the rest.
It was in between 2-3 hours, probably closer to 3. I personally wouldnt go much longer, but that is my preference! Thanks for input and information, I will be doing this more and more for cheaper, better tasting bacon than store bought!

Reactions: thirdeye
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky