Cuban Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice cook Disco. Beautiful smoke ring.

Loin is always a challenge to smoke...i will try this approach
Thanks! I know what you mean about loins. They can tend to be dry and bland. I think you will like the way this turns out.

That sounds (and looks) absolutely delicious Disco. Not much Cuban food served in the Alberta foothills either.--as in NONE!!.
I'm definitely going to use your recipe on my next loin.
POINT
Gary
Thanks, Gary! I hope you like it!

One would ask why you are stalking?
That is actually a picture of the previous neighbors pool when I use to take care of it.
So the pool remains, the home remains, and the folks have changed.

But YOU are some sort of a stalker.
Noted.
I am dumbfounded by your inability to admit wrongdoing.
If in proving my point,you feel the need to label me as a stalker so you feel better,so be it.

I see that by reporting your post of my neighbors pool, the Admin removed your post.
But iof you want to keep stalking me, by all means help your Pathetic Bored Little Self.
Up till now I just causally ignored you. But let's make it Official, shall we? ;)
I am dumbfounded by your inability to admit wrongdoing.
If in proving my point,you feel the need to label me as a stalker so you feel better,so be it.
Feels a little like this post has been hijacked guys. How about you go to a direct message to sort it out?

o_O

No problem. I'm sure everyone would appreciate the recipes if you post them. However, personal disagreements should be done by messaging IMHO.

Looks great. I'm Cuban and Spanish and roast pork or Spanish pork is a go o dish for us. I've never smoked it and we usually eat it with white rice and black beans.

If you have access to it , look for Mojo. Common brand is Goya, usually in the international section of the grocery store. This is all you need to marinate in. You can also slice thin and layer with ham and salami, white cheese and pickle for a Cuban sandwich.

Before I begin this post, I humbly apologize to every Cuban or person of Cuban heritage. I love this style of cooking but a lot of the ingredients are not available here in the Canadian Rockies. For example I noted some recipes call for a sour orange. Therefore, this is my homage to the style and flavour profile but is in no way authentic Cuban food. If you haven't had Cuban cuisine, seek it out. It is wonderful!

I had a nice chunk of pork loin that I had cut off a full loin I purchased to make back (Canadian) bacon. I decided to try and create a Cuban inspired dish.

I started by putting the following in my mortar and pestle:

2 cloves garlic
5 ml (1 tsp) Kosher salt
1 ml (1/4 tsp) cumin
2 ml (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground coriander

I mashed them together into a paste.

I mixed the following together to dissolve the honey:

25 ml (2 tbsp) lime juice
15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
15 ml (1 tbsp) honey
15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil

View attachment 378182

I had a nice 890 gram (2 pound) piece of pork with a 1/4 inch fat cap. I cut a diamond pattern through the fat. I really recommend you have a little fat cap on the pork loin. It helps keep it moist.

I rubbed the garlic paste into the slices.

View attachment 378183

I put the pork in a plastic bag and added the lime juice mixture. I marinated in the fridge 8 hours to overnight.

I patted the excess moisture off the pork and put it in the fridge, uncovered, a couple of hours.

View attachment 378184

I preheated my smoker to 375 F and smoked to an internal temperature of 155 F (I don't like pink in my pork). It took a little over an hour.

View attachment 378185
I let it sit for 25 minutes and carved it.

View attachment 378186 View attachment 378187
The Verdict

This pork was incredibly moist. The citrus tang and seasoning blend gave a great taste that went perfectly with the pork. To my Cuban friends, thanks for the inspiration.

Disco

Looks great. I'm Cuban and Spanish and roast pork or Spanish pork is a go o dish for us. I've never smoked it and we usually eat it with white rice and black beans.

If you have access to it , look for Mojo. Common brand is Goya, usually in the international section of the grocery store. This is all you need to marinate in. You can also slice thin and layer with ham and salami, white cheese and pickle for a Cuban sandwich.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will look for Mojo but I suspect it will not be in the local stores here. However, there is always Amazon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky