Convection plate placement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

horizonsmkr

Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
I have a horizon 20” with convection plate. Recently have been getting inconsistent temps accross the cooking surface. Should I play with the placement of the convection plate? I have read anywhere from no gap to 2inch gap between the plate and firebox.

Increase the air flow across the smoker... Best done with an upper air inlet....
Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg

Lower inlet adjusts the heat by burning the fuel hotter or cooler....
Upper inlet moves the heat to the CC and through the CC...
When you get it balanced, it's a thing of beauty with even temps and no creosote...

Thanks. I knew I read that before but couldn’t find it. Kind of illogical at first but when you think about how/ why it works it does make sense. I plan on playing with the gap to see what works best.

I think I would call Horizon and talk with them.

The fella in that thread had a 16" , I've heard Horizon tries to push customers to the 20 or 24 , because the 16 has air flow issues.

So yours might be different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky