Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
A big shout out to Bear and Disco for their bacon posts which I followed. Pork loin was on sale:
IMG_0210.JPG

Added the cure and brown sugar:
IMG_0212.JPG

I put the two halves on ziploc bags and left in the fridge for 14 days with a daily flip(ended up being 21 days).Soaked for about 45 minutes with three water changes ,patted dry and added cracked black pepper,onion powder and garlic powder.
IMG_0309.JPG

I did a fry taste to check the flavor/saltiness. It was perfect and into the smoker for 2 hours with dampers wide open .Added apple and smoked for two hours, stopped the smoke and brought the meat up to 145 * IT.
IMG_0310.JPG

Sliced at about 1/8 inch and packaged up some but consumed a lot on Mothers Day breakfast.
IMG_0315.JPG

Some did make it to the freezer! Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_0316.JPG

Nice work. Beautiful outcome. My next Canadian style bacon I am gong to use some onion garlic and black pepper like you did. That looks wonderful!!! :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

Reactions: crazymoon
Dang that looks really good. Definitely interested in trying this. Can you share a bit of detail on the curing process?
PLL, I use tender quick cure at 1 tablespoon per pound of meat and then 2 teaspoons of brown sugar for one pound of meat.Check out this post for great info:
*New------Canadian Bacon
I tried to copy/paste Discos' post to here also but to no avail?

Last edited:
Reactions: ponzLL and chopsaw
Dang that looks really good. Definitely interested in trying this. Can you share a bit of detail on the curing process?

Take a look at Bearcarvers signature. He has the link to his step by step on making Canadian bacon.
Sooooooooo good!

You wont be disappointed!

Reactions: ponzLL
now I want to get a pork loin too... Maybe a GFS run is in order..

Was at GFS yesterday picking up some gloves and chicken... Going to give their store brand briquettes a try. The GFS lump works quite well. I like their online ordering App and they have great meat prices for BBQ.

Reactions: crazymoon
Was at GFS yesterday picking up some gloves and chicken... Going to give their store brand briquettes a try. The GFS lump works quite well. I like their online ordering App and they have great meat prices for BBQ.

Huh. My GFS never had lump..I'll need to ask about that!

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky