Big fire box question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CarRAMrod06292011

Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Do you really need a fire box a third the size of the cooking chamber? I have built a 30 x 30 x 30 inch double wall firebox for my current trailer smoker. I plan on building a bigger 36 x 50 x 111 inch cooking chamber with double wall 10ga and 2 inches of insulation. This will be a horizontal smoker with tuning plates along with 4 48x48 inch pull out shelves. I use 24 inch split logs in it currently. Is there some point you do not need to follow the normal rule of the fire box being a third the size of the cooking chamber? I mean 6 18-24 inch x 8+ inch diameter logs is a really big fire. Any help from someone who has experience with building big smokers would be greatly appreciated.

The objective is to balance flow air through the system. Not simply fuel (split/log) capacity. If the fire box is too small, the cooker will not be able to draft (breath) correctly. Improper draft can lead to highly undesirable things like erratic cc temperatures, sooting, creosote build-up, etc.

Reactions: JWFokker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky