Barrel Smoker Exhaust Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cww253

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Florence, Sc
I’ve been building a whiskey barrel smoker and I just can’t find the right exhaust set up. I’ve stained and stenciled the top so it’s gonna have to be a side discharge. I actually bought one off Amazon that was for a Pit Boss pellet smoker but this thing is huge! I’m going to mount two Ugly Drum Long Tube intake pipes and would like the exhaust to be the same diameter or slightly smaller than one of the intakes. I’m not real concerned about airflow as this smoker will mostly be used as a cold smoker. I own a Kamado to do the hot cooks. Any creative ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpeg
    IMG_0718.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 13
Hardware store.... get a steel pipe the same diameter as the intake and side mount it. use a elbow fitting so it drafts up. Just my idea.

Jim

Airflow is VERY important when you cold smoke anything, especially on delicate things like butter and cheese. And when you move to bacon and hams.... you can do a few hours, then do some fridge time, and repeat the next day.

Hardware store.... get a steel pipe the same diameter as the intake and side mount it. use a elbow fitting so it drafts up. Just my idea.

I,

Jim
I’ll head to Ace Hardware Monday and do some shopping in the plumbing section. I can visualize all the parts except how to throttle the flow if ever required. i might be overthinking this, maybe just a simple ball valve but If I can find something that fits the style. I’m going for looks and function, this project has been a lot of work. I’m currently in cancer treatment and I’ve been devoting time all the sanding and staining between cheMo sessions.

Reactions: JLeonard
Airflow is VERY important when you cold smoke anything, especially on delicate things like butter and cheese. And when you move to bacon and hams.... you can do a few hours, then do some fridge time, and repeat the next day.
Thanks, I’m using a Smokia smoke generator to create the smoke. The Smokia uses small air pump to pump the smoke into whatever smoke chamber design it’s being used on. I’m hoping that this creates enough positive pressure to get good airflow and smoke exchange inside the barrel. I don’t think I need much but I’ve only cold smoked a few times. This is a work in progress so I’ll definitely keep your advice in mind. I may find that I need to free up the flow more once I get this thing smok’n.

1687683365531.png
1687683403848.png

These are designed to be used on oak whiskey and wine kegs.

Google, 2'' brass keg wall fittings.
By the way, your smoker looker killer.

They make other size fittings as well, 2'' was the sweat spot for my drum smoker to run set it and forget it, any larger, and it would draw air in through the stack and the temps would spike. You could always just drill a 2'' hold and get a large wooden bung to close it off to snuff your coals as well..
Good luck.
Dan

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I like forktenders idea. good looking piece there and classy.
Hope all is going well with your treatments.

Jim

That brass would look cool! As does your smoker! And best of luck with your treatments.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky