Bacon - Coming Out..... We Have Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
Been dealing with some life issues, bah, so I needed a diversion and what better way to make life better than, BACON.

Went to Costco a couple weeks ago and picked up two bellies. Made the calculations using Digging Dog for Cure #1, Salt and sugar. I like to use maple sugar and I also add a little real maple syrup. I found some that is barrel aged in Apple Brandy barrels..... Yum..

Got the smokers fired up:
IMG_5892.JPG

I am using the wood smoker on the left. The big one is for pastrami (a different thread).

Bacon In:
IMG_5894.JPG

The wait now begins. I have the tube in and smoking away..... Went it at 9:00 Pacific time.

I did have a small glitch though. There were 4 slabs and I weighed and measured each one, calculated the Cure #1, salt and sugar separately, applied the same, turned each day etc.... But on one of them, I noticed this last night:
IMG_5889.JPG

Never had that happed before so I just decided to cut it out and on the inside, I saw:
IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5891.JPG

On all my other bacons, the color was always uniform. Huh..... There was no smell at all, it just looked different. I ended up cutting all the pink out and moved on. It is probably OK but I didn't want to take any chances:
IMG_5898.JPG

Humming along at 138 at the moment and I will post progress pics. Thanks for looking.

Mark

Just checked (for about the 100th time, I am impatient). We are three hours in and taking on some nice color...
IMG_5907.JPG

IMG_5906.JPG

Just added a second AMPS tube (other one has about 1/2 an hour left) so there will be some double smoke going on for a bit. Cruising at 158. It is about 90 here so I am adding a single charcoal briquette or small small split of wood.

Coming along nicely I think.....

I am not a patient person.

Smoker temp has been creeping up, now in the 165 - 168 range.

Reactions: JLeonard
Been dealing with some life issues, bah, so I needed a diversion and what better way to make life better than, BACON.

Went to Costco a couple weeks ago and picked up two bellies. Made the calculations using Digging Dog for Cure #1, Salt and sugar. I like to use maple sugar and I also add a little real maple syrup. I found some that is barrel aged in Apple Brandy barrels..... Yum..

Got the smokers fired up:
View attachment 670784

I am using the wood smoker on the left. The big one is for pastrami (a different thread).

Bacon In:
View attachment 670785

The wait now begins. I have the tube in and smoking away..... Went it at 9:00 Pacific time.

I did have a small glitch though. There were 4 slabs and I weighed and measured each one, calculated the Cure #1, salt and sugar separately, applied the same, turned each day etc.... But on one of them, I noticed this last night:
View attachment 670812

Never had that happed before so I just decided to cut it out and on the inside, I saw:
View attachment 670813
View attachment 670814

On all my other bacons, the color was always uniform. Huh..... There was no smell at all, it just looked different. I ended up cutting all the pink out and moved on. It is probably OK but I didn't want to take any chances:
View attachment 670815

Humming along at 138 at the moment and I will post progress pics. Thanks for looking.

Mark
The piece you are concerned about with the red blotches is perfectly normal.
The surface of the whole piece has oxidized and has a brownish color, this is normal it’s from being exposed to oxygen. The red blotches are spots that were touching plastic or in other words was not exposed to oxygen and as such retain the cured red color.

The cut inside of the piece shows different shades of “red” cure color, again completely normal. Different muscle groups have different levels of myoglobin and as such contain various levels of iron. When nitrite converts to nitric Oxide the gas fixes the iron molecules in the myoglobin and thus the “red” cured color. Shoulders will have more red than loins for instance. Think dark and white meat. The more the muscle is used the more myoglobin and hence more iron molecules and a more red cured color when nitrite is applied. At any rate your meat looks perfectly cured and you have no worries.

The piece you are concerned about with the red blotches is perfectly normal.

Thx SmokingEdge..... Appreciate the information. I did toss a little bit as I was not sure and better safe than sorry. I am running a little hot but other than that, it is a nice smoke...... I need take its temp. I just rotated and smoking continues.... 5 hours ish in......

Thx SmokingEdge..... Appreciate the information. I did toss a little bit as I was not sure and better safe than sorry. I am running a little hot but other than that, it is a nice smoke...... I need take its temp. I just rotated and smoking continues.... 5 hours ish in......
I don’t take my hot smoked bacon IT past 145*.

Reactions: DougE
I go to 150. Folks I share with like the little extra cooking time. I am a pleaser enabler I guess.

AND Done......
IMG_5912.JPG
IMG_5914.JPG

A couple pieces still need a bit more time. In at 9:30a Pacific Time, off at 4:45p Pacific Time. Longest Hot Smoke I have done to date. They are now resting for a bit.

They did seem to stall for awhile but I actually showed some patience and didn't ramp up the smoker temp to 200 (not that I have EVER done that)........

I will bag it this evening and let it rest for several days before I try it. Usually tastes better after a little time to mellow. I am pleased with color and the overall smoker. Longer than normal and therefore more time on smoke, so I will report back when sample it.

Thanks for looking....

Bacon looks great. We all do different stuff when we cure. The end result is what matters. Yeah, SmokinEdge SmokinEdge has you covered on what you thought was bad.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Bacon looks great. We all do different stuff when we cure. The end result is what matters. Yeah, SmokinEdge has you covered on what you thought was bad.

Thx!! I am so happy I found this site. I appreciate the help and comments, and the results of the learning!! Team SMF for the Win!!!

I hear you on life issues. I getting ready to lose my GSD

I am sorry. Never easy to lose a buddy. My wife and I are on our 5th GSD and they are a special breed. It is hard, so my pup is sending a virtual hug to you and your pup.

I am sorry. Never easy to lose a buddy. My wife and I are on our 5th GSD and they are a special breed. It is hard, so my pup is sending a virtual hug to you and your pup.
This is my 6th. I lost one to this same thing, degenerative myelopathy. I doing laser tharapy and does seem to be helping but I know the end is coming. She is 13 and had a wonderful life.

Sorry. DM is harsh. Post a picture or two. Hugs to everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky