Bacon advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fgignac

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Mirabel
Hello all,

I have been wanting to try and make my own bacon for a while now. I was at Costco earlier today and they happened to have pork belly, so I picked some up. I have been looking at other posts on bacon making and have come to realize that most people are using large pieces of pork belly. What I found is already cut into smaller pieces. Like this

jkCSm9

Each piece is about as thick as it is wide. Would this still work for making bacon or is it truly necessary to make it from a larger piece? The only problem I can think of is that it will be a pain in the butt to slice. But I am new to curing meat so I would appreciate any insight people have to offer.

If that's just plain pork belly and not salt pork it can become bacon, I see the issue of slicing and you might end up with as much bacon candy as slices but that's not so bad. I use Hi mountain cure. Did up some of my old threads and you'll get most of your questions answered. Also pork loin makes a great Canadian bacon. Good luck

That looks like and the label says Sliced Pork Belly. It's thick cut and skinless. A couple of days in a quarter batch of Pops Brine, then cold smoke, ambient to 140°F, for a couple hours will get the job done. I don't think you will need to slice it further...JJ

Quarter batch Brine.
1Qt Water
2Tablespoons Table Salt, or 3Tbs Kosher Salt.
1/4C Brown Sugar
1/4C White Sugar
1teaspoon Cure #1

Combine and mix well. Add Belly, cover and refrigerate 3-4 days. Keep the meat submerged and stir every 12 hours or so. Drain, rinse, pat completely dry and lay out on smoker or jerky racks. Smoke 4-6 hours or as desired.

Reactions: daveomak
That looks like and the label says Sliced Pork Belly. It's thick cut and skinless.

It says "sliced" but I wouldn't exactly call it that. The "slices" are as thick as they are wide. About 1 1/2" by 1 1/2". Would this change your recommended curing time at all?

Go 10 days for that thickness...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky