Baby Back rib bark?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Matt12351

Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
England
Hi guys new to the forum,

Been trying my hand at smoking for about 9 months and currently trying to perfect ribs.

Currently smoke the ribs for 2 hours at 225F then wrap them with honey, a lil sauce and a splash of apple juice for another 2 hours and then finish them off sauced for around 20 minutes. The ribs come out lovely and tender easy to remove from the bone with little/to resistance but not falling off.

The top of the ribs always come out a little dried out, it still pulls apart easily but is slightly dry. Its only a 1 or 2 mm thick. Is this normal? i only ask incase it is and im chasing a ghost! It makes it hard to get a nice cut as the top pulls apart. and away from the rest of the rib.

Cheers in advance,

Are you cooking back ribs or spare ribs? That crust is tasty as long as it isn't charred badly IMHO. I think that a St Louis cut rib may stay a little more moist than a back rib. I have found St Louis style ribs to be a bit more forgiving for dryness.

I have always used the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours smoke, 2 hours wrap, 1 hour sauced and smoked.

I agree with JC tho - BBs are meatier and not and juicy, St Louis might a smidge easier and forgiving do to more fat. My last batch of BB was good, but not as juicy and fall off the bone as my regular SL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky