Apple wood shavings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Darryl Portelli

Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
Hi, so i've been smoking meat for some time now. Now i got the urge to give cold smoking a go. Maybe some cheese and then some salmon. Im gonna build a venturi type cold smoke generator soon. The problem is , where i live (Malta) smoking woods are hard to source. I can get 15kg sacks of oak and ash logs which i can chunk up for around 7euros which is a really good deal but other than that,the bbq places sell a small pack of wood chips for around 10euros which is CRAZY!!!!!!

I was just looking online and found a petshop that sells this stuff
https://www.petshopmalta.com/products/vadibed-woodshavings-citrus-or-apple
Which is wood shavings used as bedding for hamsters and such ... they sell bags of apple wood shavings ... a 3.6kg bag for around 5eur isnt half bad ... do you think its safe for smoking??

Cheers

It would be fine for smoking if your sure it is 100% apple wood. I'm assuming if it's in a pet store then it's pretty clean, i.e. no chain saw oil or dirt. I certainly think it's worth a try.
Al

Make sure that is all you are getting no Cedar or pine mixed in
Just Sayin

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky