Adios Masterbuilt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cnet24

Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
I woke up early this AM to throw on some ribs for some family. Within the first 20 minute of the smoke it was apparent my remote had gone bad. The temp was reading 32 degrees while my grilleye was reading 225.

The smoker was stuck in a continuous warm up cycle since the smoker thought it was (literally) freezing. Pulled the ribs and finishing up in the oven now.

This is only my third smoke with this unit, but what a piece of trash. I’ve had various issues every smoke- so three strikes and you are out buddy! I know I can follow up with Masterbuilt on this, but to be honest they did not seem to be willing to help with my other issues and it is apparent this thing is not good quality.

Traeger here I come!

Crummy deal.. I've had a Masterbuilt 40 inch for going on 10 years now and it's been pretty solid; albeit just a propane burner with no electronics. Finally starting to rust out around the burner despite being covered the whole time; sorta just the way of the world with the corrosion thing. It was only 200 or so; 20 bux a year aint too bad for all the use it gets. Good luck on your Traeger!

Sounds like the place you bought it from had completely inappropriately stored and handled it.

The only issue I had with my masterbuilt was related to a part that possibly got messed up because of being stored outside in winter when it shouldn't have been and they replaced it. <Now they didn't warn me about how hard it would be to put it in the smoker and my knuckles paid the price>.

Reactions: sm0kin
This is not based on anything other than reading, but I think the Masterbuilt propane smokers might be a better bet vs the electric one.

My first cook, I experienced the “lack of smoke” issue others have experienced. That was fixed very fast with the AMZNPS thanks to others on this forum.

My second cook, I had a great cook but found paint peeling away from the unit where the door closes. I sent pictures to Masterbuilt and they chalked this up as “normal wear and tear”. After one cook?!?

My third cook, see above.

I’m venting at this point. But it’s been a frustrating experience.

This is a unit from Christmas time sold by Academy. I wonder if it was a knockdown unit to hit a better price point for the holidays.

It seems others have very positive experiences with the more premium 40” versions.

Last edited:
39051AC8-C578-4C9B-BD7B-585FB14436BE.png
I’ve had masterbuilt electrics for over 6 years, very little to no issues. I have improved my most recent 140S, but had no issues with unit prior to modding it for temp control. It now holds within 1 degree, so the design isn’t flawed. Good luck with your traeger!

This is not based on anything other than reading, but I think the Masterbuilt propane smokers might be a better bet vs the electric one.

My first cook, I experienced the “lack of smoke” issue others have experienced. That was fixed very fast with the AMZNPS thanks to others on this forum.

My second cook, I had a great cook but had smoke peeling away from the unit where the door closes. I sent pictures to Masterbuilt and they chalked this up as “normal wear and tear”. After one cook?!?

My third cook, see above.

I’m venting at this point. But it’s been a frustrating experience.

This is a unit from Christmas time sold by Academy. I wonder if it was a knockdown unit to hit a better price point for the holidays.

It seems others have very positive experiences with the more premium 40” versions.

I rejected the first masterbuilt unit brought out from the warehouse when I built mine. It had clearly been stored improperly. I was fortunate that I also could go in the warehouse.

That to me is a big thing, when I make a big purchase, I want to see the product before I take it home so they don't go 'well this one has been here a year at the bottom of a stack. Time to unload it'.

I'm sorry for all your trouble though. Lets hope for some fun cooks with the Traeger to see at least :)

<You might want to see if any one here wants that MES though to experiment with. Some people like to fiddle or use em for parts!>

It seems that alot of people have trouble with the newer units . I've done the controller upgrade on mine as well , but it worked right out of the box for 5 years .
Shouldn't have to mod a brand new smoker , but you have the tray all ready . Plug and play Auber about 150 or so . Makes that a great smoker . I know , sounds crazy , I thought the same thing . Until I did it .
Good luck . Let us know what you do .

Reactions: sm0kin
normanaj normanaj I’ve been reading this as well- now I’m leaning towards the remote mod but need to do more research to understand.

Reactions: chopsaw
It's pretty simple . Plenty of guys to help you . You will be happy with the out come . Do you have the thread by tallbm ? Re wire no back re removal.

chopsaw chopsaw yes I’ve seen it. Is there a link to the exact remote that is being used? I was looking on the website but couldn’t find it.

Search for auber 1510 elpm . That's the one I use .

Last edited:
sm0kin sm0kin now we are talking! No issues with WiFi connection? How far away will the connection reach?
Once setup is complete it functions over cellular service, so unlimited I suppose lol
If you go to the links at the bottom of that link I sent above you can view the instructions and setup info in .pdf

Reactions: cnet24
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky