32 years old, St. Louis MO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrmarblz

Original poster
Mar 1, 2017
Hey there everyone!

I've been smoking with friends and family for years, but November 2016 I just bought my first house and moved out of an apartment.  Now that I have the space, that very same month I got my first smoker during an unusually mild part of the season.  I got a Char-Griller Smokin' Champ Charcoal Grill Horizontal Smoker  (cheap offset smoker) and modified it with just about everything mentioned on the Amazing Ribs website  as well as the other published list they mention, here.  The only modification I have not done yet are the wheels because I wanted to get to smoking!

Modifications:

FDA Approved High Temperature Silicon Sealant on all seams/cracks/holes

Added insulation around all doors/lids

Extended Chimney to Grating Level

Installed two thermometers on lid

Installed Grommet for thermometer probes

Installed baffle, tuning plates, and rail system

Installed ball valve for grease

I am a project manager for a structural steel fabrication company, so I took the bottom half of the barrel in to my shop so I could weld the valve and fabricate the baffle, tuning plats, and rails.  It looks good, works pretty well.  I have observed about a ten degree difference between the two ends of the smoker when I seasoned the grill and my first smoke (which that difference actually worked out real nice for me, smoking chicken and pork at once).  I went thru more coal than I expected I was going to, but I attribute that to the outside temperature that didn't reach above 50 degree fahrenheit.

There are two things I wish I had done differently:

The first is placing the two new lid thermometers closer to grating level.  There was approximately a 30 degree difference between their readings and the digital probe I had right above the grating.  When I installed them I was more concerned about being able to read them rather than their accuracy themselves.

The second being the grommet.  I wish I had placed it on the left side of the grill rather than in the middle.  It doesn't make sense to have it in the middle when I do not have a front shelf working area.  I may just add my own at some point.

My first time using this smoker I smoked Atomic Buffalo Turds, whole chicken wings, and tried something I thought of that I haven't seen before.  What I did was I wrapped pork chops along with a slice of pineapple in thick cut bacon, and coated it in brown sugar.  I dipped the pork chops in worcestershire sauce for contrast (although I didn't tasted it, I don't think the pork absorbed it) and lightly salted them.  Still, I thought it turned out pretty delicious.

Anways, I will end this message with a few pictures

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a beautiful nice cool sunny day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web.         Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

NICE !!

Gary

Thanks for the welcome guys!  I hope to continue to be active on this site, learn some things, share some things.  It's going to be a great year of smoking for me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky