This is my first time trying this, so here is my "Pork Roast Experiment".
I started out with a mislabeled 4.5 lb. pork roast:
Then I rinsed it off and inserted some garlic slices into it:
stood it up and scored the fat cap:
Here's the rub I came up with to use on it:
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon CBP
Peeled and quartered 4 medium-sized Russets and added them in with enough chicken broth to cover the bottom of the pan. Ready to go in the smoker:
I smoked it between 220-230* with Hickory except about 1/2 hour into it the smoke went out, and I had to add some dry chips and crank the heat up to 275* to get it going again. I'll be glad when my A-MAZE-N smoker gets here!
So, it only took about 3 hours to reach 160*. Here it is just out of the smoker:
Needless to say, the potatoes weren't done, so I stuck them in the oven for a while but ended up finishing them off in the microwave. Then I made some gravy from the pan juices and started slicing:
All plated up:
It was extremely tender (I used a butter knife to cut it), but the flavor was kind of bland except around the edges where the smoke was able to penetrate. Those parts were awesome. Next time, I'll have my AMNS so I'll drop the temps some to make sure it gets 5 hours or so in the smoke.
It's not a total loss, though -- the slices will be very good with some BBQ sauce or in sandwiches. I might even try frying some.
Well, anyway, that was my "Pork Roast Experiment" -- thanks for looking!