Here's an easy to follow video on how to spatchcock a chicken. Some new smokers may not be familiar with this technique, but it does cut-down on time spent with your smoker,and you can use your grill in an indirect heat method too. Go to Wiki,click on Browse All Wikis, then click on Spatchcock Chicken.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:14pm in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
I have smoked ribs, beer can chicken, pork butts, chicken breasts, all have turned out great. I just turn it on set the temp and forget it.
I agree with everything yamafx4dude said. The box itself is great. Well insulted and large enough for a large family I need to smoke for. However the electronics in this unit suck… DO NOT depend...
This is a nice set it and forget it type of thing. One thing I do want to mention on it...lump coal is not easy to work with on this. Stay with Kingsford. Well made and works like a charm. I am not...
How to spatchcock chickenpost #1 of 86/12/10 at 6:38amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 86/12/10 at 7:41am
Totally love spatchcocked yardbird. Fell in love with it after trying it out...pretty simple once you do it once, you are on it. Cut out the spine, slice cartilage and breastbone, I slice the bird in half, EVOO and rub, bone down and go to town. Juiciest bird I have ever made.post #3 of 86/12/10 at 7:43ampost #4 of 86/15/10 at 6:54pmpost #5 of 86/15/10 at 6:58pm
And if you are grilling it how long might you grill one over direct heat? I don't plan on smoking the bird on the grill this weekend (wife doesn't like the smoke, I know she's crazy...) so why do indirect right?post #6 of 86/15/10 at 7:27pmpost #7 of 86/16/10 at 12:37pmQuote:
I did my first one last night right over the flames. I rubbed it the night before with some extra under the breast skin, then fired up the grill (gas, medium heat) until it read about 350. Put it breast down on the grill for about 10 mins and it got nice and brown with some good char marks. flipped it over, put some butter under the breast skin and mopped it with a bit of cider vin, AJ, and brown sugar. Turned the heat down after another 10 and let it go for about 15 more mins. some of the most perfectly done chicken Ive ever had.post #8 of 81/11/11 at 5:14am
I haven't done mine over direct heat, I use my Traeger 075 for just about everything. I do have a Kamado Joe now, so I have been playing with indirect and direct heat for sear and char lately. Nothing is as juicy as a smoked spatch though, thinking about spatching a turkey this weekend.
- How to spatchcock chicken
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Need a source for Old propane tanks near southeastern massachusetts. 11 minutes ago
- › Forget jerky - make yourself some biltong :-) 13 minutes ago
- › The WiFi Anova Drummie cook 18 minutes ago
- › Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Bagel and Muffaletta...A Tale of... 20 minutes ago
- › Eggs,, it's what is for lunch!! 21 minutes ago
- › Bacon cheddar & chicken wing money shot 22 minutes ago
- › More potato sausage 23 minutes ago
- › German food fest at our neighbor's 24 minutes ago
- › 1st timer making Pops recipe: Country-Style Breakfast Sausage -... 25 minutes ago
- › First Smoke Ever (Baby Back Ribs) 34 minutes ago
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter by Cornman
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot