Here's an easy to follow video on how to spatchcock a chicken. Some new smokers may not be familiar with this technique, but it does cut-down on time spent with your smoker,and you can use your grill in an indirect heat method too. Go to Wiki,click on Browse All Wikis, then click on Spatchcock Chicken.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:14pm in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I had been looking to get a smoker and was researching a few different models. My hand was forced when my grill quit working, so I ended up getting this rather quickly as a result. My rationale...
I took this back after 2 weeks. A part needed to be replaced and they sent it to me for ME to install and change out. That job is not mine for something I paid over a grande for. They finally got a...
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
How to spatchcock chickenpost #1 of 86/12/10 at 6:38amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 86/12/10 at 7:41am
Totally love spatchcocked yardbird. Fell in love with it after trying it out...pretty simple once you do it once, you are on it. Cut out the spine, slice cartilage and breastbone, I slice the bird in half, EVOO and rub, bone down and go to town. Juiciest bird I have ever made.post #3 of 86/12/10 at 7:43ampost #4 of 86/15/10 at 6:54pmpost #5 of 86/15/10 at 6:58pm
And if you are grilling it how long might you grill one over direct heat? I don't plan on smoking the bird on the grill this weekend (wife doesn't like the smoke, I know she's crazy...) so why do indirect right?post #6 of 86/15/10 at 7:27pmpost #7 of 86/16/10 at 12:37pmQuote:
I did my first one last night right over the flames. I rubbed it the night before with some extra under the breast skin, then fired up the grill (gas, medium heat) until it read about 350. Put it breast down on the grill for about 10 mins and it got nice and brown with some good char marks. flipped it over, put some butter under the breast skin and mopped it with a bit of cider vin, AJ, and brown sugar. Turned the heat down after another 10 and let it go for about 15 more mins. some of the most perfectly done chicken Ive ever had.post #8 of 81/11/11 at 5:14am
I haven't done mine over direct heat, I use my Traeger 075 for just about everything. I do have a Kamado Joe now, so I have been playing with indirect and direct heat for sear and char lately. Nothing is as juicy as a smoked spatch though, thinking about spatching a turkey this weekend.
- How to spatchcock chicken
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Pimento wood 2 minutes ago
- › Cold smoke attachment and bacon 3 minutes ago
- › How to Charge for whole smoked turkey? 4 minutes ago
- › Smoked a couple birds. 9 minutes ago
- › Newbie and needs some solid advice on purchase 13 minutes ago
- › PWE Pastrami Finally Done! The Slices and the Sandwich! 21 minutes ago
- › Raspberry Pi Fan/Temp controller questions... 27 minutes ago
- › 500 Gallon Reverse Flow heating issues 31 minutes ago
- › One Grill Rotisserie Flat Basket Fix for 5/16" Spit Rods 32 minutes ago
- › The Smokin Monkey Cook Book 51 minutes ago
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN TRIPLE (3) BURNER by wbf610
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by ammaturesmoker
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona