Here's an easy to follow video on how to spatchcock a chicken. Some new smokers may not be familiar with this technique, but it does cut-down on time spent with your smoker,and you can use your grill in an indirect heat method too. Go to Wiki,click on Browse All Wikis, then click on Spatchcock Chicken.
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:14pm in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
How to spatchcock chickenpost #1 of 86/12/10 at 6:38amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 86/12/10 at 7:41am
Totally love spatchcocked yardbird. Fell in love with it after trying it out...pretty simple once you do it once, you are on it. Cut out the spine, slice cartilage and breastbone, I slice the bird in half, EVOO and rub, bone down and go to town. Juiciest bird I have ever made.post #3 of 86/12/10 at 7:43ampost #4 of 86/15/10 at 6:54pmpost #5 of 86/15/10 at 6:58pm
And if you are grilling it how long might you grill one over direct heat? I don't plan on smoking the bird on the grill this weekend (wife doesn't like the smoke, I know she's crazy...) so why do indirect right?post #6 of 86/15/10 at 7:27pmpost #7 of 86/16/10 at 12:37pmQuote:
I did my first one last night right over the flames. I rubbed it the night before with some extra under the breast skin, then fired up the grill (gas, medium heat) until it read about 350. Put it breast down on the grill for about 10 mins and it got nice and brown with some good char marks. flipped it over, put some butter under the breast skin and mopped it with a bit of cider vin, AJ, and brown sugar. Turned the heat down after another 10 and let it go for about 15 more mins. some of the most perfectly done chicken Ive ever had.post #8 of 81/11/11 at 5:14am
I haven't done mine over direct heat, I use my Traeger 075 for just about everything. I do have a Kamado Joe now, so I have been playing with indirect and direct heat for sear and char lately. Nothing is as juicy as a smoked spatch though, thinking about spatching a turkey this weekend.
- How to spatchcock chicken
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › My first Crack at breakfast sausage 37 minutes ago
- › Chicken Sausage 3/21/17 42 minutes ago
- › Cured and smoked bellies in fridge, limit on left hanging 58 minutes ago
- › Go big or go home. First try at a fatty. 3 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › making snack sticks for the first time this weekend and a couple... 3 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › newbie 125 gallon reverse flow build the start 4 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › smoked eggs in shell 4 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › 96x30" trailer build 4 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › NEW SAUSAGE SMOKER 5 hours, 1 minute ago
- › WSM sale question 5 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations