I'm going to disagree wholeheartedly about using the exhaust stack to "control" the hot end of the smoker. Wind, even gusty wind blowing across the top of the stack, isn't going to change the exhaust draft in any measurable way. It would somehow have to artificially create a fairly large zone of lower pressure, and that just isn't going to happen under those conditions with an assembly as simple as the exhaust tube. What it CAN do is force gusty drafts into the firebox INTAKE which WILL have a propensity to increase available O2 to the combustion mass.
Related Forum Threads
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
- Lump or charcoal and wood chunks Last post on 7/6/09 at 4:37pm in Charcoal Smokers
- use smoking wood for heat? Last post on 11/30/10 at 8:02am in Woods for Smoking
- charcoal in RF smoker Last post on 6/17/10 at 8:33pm in Reverse Flow
- Smoking Spare Ribs Last post on 6/13/10 at 6:19pm in Pork
Bought this at Menards after returning a Traeger Texan to Costco. The Pitt Boss is a little smaller, has the broiler feature, has a upper cooking rack, has a shelf under the cook chamber is $400...
Unless you are cooking for 1 or 2, don't get this as your main grill/smoker. On the other hand, if you already have a larger grill/smoker that you use for big cooks and want something to use for...
I've had mine for more than 6 years and I really struggled through the first year with it getting too hot and burning up food. I was ready to give up and just use it as a charcoal grill. Then I...
I installed this and it worked flawlessly.
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
Could I use Wood Instead of Charcoal? - Page 2
Good Points Bigtexun...I will still argue with the stack though....only playing devils advocate. Regardless of wind conditions, it will be hard to"pull smoke" if your firebox control is adjusted for it. I have smoked in heavy winds and understand what you are saying, but have not run across a point where I could not control the pull by regulating the intake.
As of lately I am using only stick burning. I use to do charcoal with added chucks, but started stick only almost 3 years ago. I use mainly hickory with some apple or cherry for extra flavor at times depending on the meat I'm smoking. I use slits @ 2-3" around and 10-14" long, I have had lots of luck with this and haven't had a bad cook. I always leave the stack wide open and control temp at inlet. I've done short cooks and 12-15 hour cooks this way. I got tried of adding charcoal all the time and paying the cost of it.
- Could I use Wood Instead of Charcoal?
- › Post and Thread Requirements? 1 minute ago
- › Sous Vide Country Style Ribs (Grill to Finish) 10 minutes ago
- › Going To Be Something 11 minutes ago
- › Custom BBQ Smoker 46 minutes ago
- › Best online spare ribs 52 minutes ago
- › 1,000 Gallon Smoker 56 minutes ago
- › First Time Smoking Chicken 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Enough smoke with Smokin-it ... ?? 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › Perfect Draft...has anyone used this 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › Propane SmokeHouse Build 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients