I'm going to disagree wholeheartedly about using the exhaust stack to "control" the hot end of the smoker. Wind, even gusty wind blowing across the top of the stack, isn't going to change the exhaust draft in any measurable way. It would somehow have to artificially create a fairly large zone of lower pressure, and that just isn't going to happen under those conditions with an assembly as simple as the exhaust tube. What it CAN do is force gusty drafts into the firebox INTAKE which WILL have a propensity to increase available O2 to the combustion mass.
Related Forum Threads
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
- Lump or charcoal and wood chunks Last post on 7/6/09 at 4:37pm in Charcoal Smokers
- use smoking wood for heat? Last post on 11/30/10 at 8:02am in Woods for Smoking
- charcoal in RF smoker Last post on 6/17/10 at 8:33pm in Reverse Flow
- Smoking Spare Ribs Last post on 6/13/10 at 6:19pm in Pork
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
Could I use Wood Instead of Charcoal? - Page 2
Good Points Bigtexun...I will still argue with the stack though....only playing devils advocate. Regardless of wind conditions, it will be hard to"pull smoke" if your firebox control is adjusted for it. I have smoked in heavy winds and understand what you are saying, but have not run across a point where I could not control the pull by regulating the intake.
As of lately I am using only stick burning. I use to do charcoal with added chucks, but started stick only almost 3 years ago. I use mainly hickory with some apple or cherry for extra flavor at times depending on the meat I'm smoking. I use slits @ 2-3" around and 10-14" long, I have had lots of luck with this and haven't had a bad cook. I always leave the stack wide open and control temp at inlet. I've done short cooks and 12-15 hour cooks this way. I got tried of adding charcoal all the time and paying the cost of it.
- Could I use Wood Instead of Charcoal?
- › MES 40 Shutting Off 8 minutes ago
- › Prime rib aging 8 minutes ago
- › There Is A Difference Between Low And Slow And Lower And Slower 9 minutes ago
- › Hello from ky 10 minutes ago
- › How to get "fall off the bone" smoked ribs? 19 minutes ago
- › 1st Smoker Build - 300 gallon Reverse Flow 21 minutes ago
- › Smoked Meatloaf 26 minutes ago
- › Old Tilia FoodSaver Questions??? 31 minutes ago
- › Temp controller 52 minutes ago
- › Would love the course. 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods