- 1,798 Posts. Joined 2/2010
- Location: Lakewood, Ca - In Front of a Weber 22.5 Smoker
- Points: 14
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- New WSM 22.5" Arriving Friday - Lump or Briquettes?? Last post on 11/3/10 at 8:46pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Good Lump Last post on 8/31/09 at 7:45pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Joined the Pellet Ranks Last post on 6/1/08 at 2:55pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Ribs n Loin on the Weber w/ Smokenator Last post on 12/12/13 at 3:57pm in Pork
- Another perfect big ol' juicy butt thread Last post on 11/3/13 at 6:15am in Pork
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
Lump in your WSM?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I bought an extra charcoal grate for using lump. You use it in a cross hatch pattern it conjunction with the stock grate. It holds the lump in place better not allowing it to fall through to the bottom.
For overnighters, a quality natural briquette would be good.
I notice a big difference between charcoal types with the WSM.
The airflow through the smoker is pretty small so any odors get bottled up with your food more so than other smokers.
I had some kinds of mesquite lump that were so strong in the WSM I didn't add any smoke wood at all.
The warning/disclaimer might have to do with the fact that lump can get hotter.
I dont think i ever read the WSM manual, I got a copy of the book Low and Slow and that was all I needed.
I'd like to revive this thread:
I'm accustomed to using an electric smoker. I just bought a ProQ smoker, which is very similar to the WSM. I have not received it yet, but have started to wonder how I actually smoke with wood. Obviously, the charcoal provides the heat, but I don't recall seeing a basket or a section to put wood for smoke. Do you guys just mix it in with the charcoal briquettes or use a pan on top of the heat? I have to assume chunks and not chips are best in this type of smoker.
- Lump in your WSM?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Smoke Chief cold smoke generator 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › Can i hang my UMAi in my basement? 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › Corned beef and hash 2 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Smoked Garlic Pork + 5 ~ Foamheart 2 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Some grilled chicken quarters. 2 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Which stick burner to buy?? 2 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › PID problems runaway temp 2 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Jalapeno elk saugage 3 hours ago
- › I know what I'm doing this weekend... 3 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › ham curing days set in stone? 3 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub