- 85 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:14pm in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I had been looking to get a smoker and was researching a few different models. My hand was forced when my grill quit working, so I ended up getting this rather quickly as a result. My rationale...
I took this back after 2 weeks. A part needed to be replaced and they sent it to me for ME to install and change out. That job is not mine for something I paid over a grande for. They finally got a...
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Chicken Rub ?post #1 of 153/27/10 at 9:37pmThread StarterI have a 7lb. chicken I am going to butterfly and smoke tomorrow.Getting tired of my usual rub I was wondering if any body would care to share there special chicken rub?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 153/27/10 at 10:11pmWell, I've done chicken that way, but I'm very new to making my own rubs and such. All the ones I did last year I used Mrs. Dash Grilling Blend for chicken. I rubbed it in good under the skin. Really good.post #3 of 153/27/10 at 10:41pmI use a bit of my rib rub mixed with some ground up "kickin Chicken" that I get from Sam's club or Walmart. I magic bullet them together, rub and smoke or grill. Nice flavour and some kick to it as well. (rib rub is tweaked Jeff's recipe)post #4 of 153/28/10 at 1:18amIn addition to the rub, I'd suggest putting the bird in a poultry brine and letting it sit overnight. The spices in the brine get absorbed quite nicely, and the extra rub you put on it prior to smoking, will just add that extra "oomph" of flavor.post #5 of 153/28/10 at 1:21ampost #6 of 153/28/10 at 1:24amIf you marinade in Italian dressing, be cautious with how long the meat sits in the marinade. If you let it sit for more than 24 hours you run the risk of the dressing actually starting to "cook" the meat. If that happens and you throw it on the smoker, you may end up with a dry piece of meat.
Otherwise, Italian dressing is a great marinade and tastes wonderful with chicken.post #7 of 153/28/10 at 2:07amNow I have used italian dressing on venison and other game meat but never on chicken. Now it does sound pretty good it seams alittle much but thats just me. I have been using the butt rub lately zi have found that the new Old Bay Rub is really good on yard bird too. I would also recommand using tip's slaughter house brine for your bird too. It's really good and low salt too.post #8 of 153/28/10 at 5:17amsince you live in tulsa there is a rub available you need. Bass Pro Shops and Ace westlake hardware stores carry Plowboys yardbird rub. also carry Plowboys bovine beef rub for briskit. It's very good stuff.post #9 of 153/28/10 at 12:27pmThread Starterpost #10 of 153/28/10 at 12:33pmI agree with the italian dressing, and I just use a shake of Tony Chachere's original creaole seasoning. Works great on chicken. Has just enough salt to give you crisp skinpost #11 of 153/28/10 at 6:14pmThread Starterpost #12 of 154/1/12 at 12:26pm
Smoke Farmer, I dug up a few more for your future consideration (these are all among our favorites here):
An all-in-one meal, or you could piece together just the chicken meat:
Scroll down on this page for two additional poultry rubs:
If you like it HOT:
Great smokes to ya!!!
Ericpost #13 of 154/1/12 at 12:36pmpost #14 of 154/1/12 at 12:44pmpost #15 of 154/1/12 at 12:58pmQuote:
OOPS!!!! Shoulda had my reading glasses on...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Chicken Rub ?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Brats and Kraut! 43 seconds ago
- › GMG Jim Bowie 1st Butt Smoke Qview 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Brined? Frenched? Rubbed? Smoked? Glazed? Cheap Pork Roast! 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › Pork Sammies! 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Pellet smoke not as strong as natural wood 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Next! 2 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Seafood Sausage Help? 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › PWE Pastrami Finally Done! The Slices and the Sandwich! 4 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › UDS Plans Needed 4 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › What happens when the brine turns the outside of the pork butt... 6 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN TRIPLE (3) BURNER by wbf610
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by ammaturesmoker
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona