- 85 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- SoCal rookie Vert smoker Last post on 10/26/13 at 8:54am in For New Members
- Chicken, my new favorite method Last post on 5/31/14 at 7:23pm in Poultry
- A little evening Spatch ....Do you approve? Last post on 9/29/13 at 9:00am in Poultry
- First whole chicken is smokin' Last post on 10/4/13 at 11:44am in Grilling Chicken
- First real try at smoked chicken Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:14pm in Poultry
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
Chicken Rub ?post #1 of 153/27/10 at 9:37pmThread StarterI have a 7lb. chicken I am going to butterfly and smoke tomorrow.Getting tired of my usual rub I was wondering if any body would care to share there special chicken rub?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 153/27/10 at 10:11pmWell, I've done chicken that way, but I'm very new to making my own rubs and such. All the ones I did last year I used Mrs. Dash Grilling Blend for chicken. I rubbed it in good under the skin. Really good.post #3 of 153/27/10 at 10:41pmI use a bit of my rib rub mixed with some ground up "kickin Chicken" that I get from Sam's club or Walmart. I magic bullet them together, rub and smoke or grill. Nice flavour and some kick to it as well. (rib rub is tweaked Jeff's recipe)post #4 of 153/28/10 at 1:18amIn addition to the rub, I'd suggest putting the bird in a poultry brine and letting it sit overnight. The spices in the brine get absorbed quite nicely, and the extra rub you put on it prior to smoking, will just add that extra "oomph" of flavor.post #5 of 153/28/10 at 1:21ampost #6 of 153/28/10 at 1:24amIf you marinade in Italian dressing, be cautious with how long the meat sits in the marinade. If you let it sit for more than 24 hours you run the risk of the dressing actually starting to "cook" the meat. If that happens and you throw it on the smoker, you may end up with a dry piece of meat.
Otherwise, Italian dressing is a great marinade and tastes wonderful with chicken.post #7 of 153/28/10 at 2:07amNow I have used italian dressing on venison and other game meat but never on chicken. Now it does sound pretty good it seams alittle much but thats just me. I have been using the butt rub lately zi have found that the new Old Bay Rub is really good on yard bird too. I would also recommand using tip's slaughter house brine for your bird too. It's really good and low salt too.post #8 of 153/28/10 at 5:17amsince you live in tulsa there is a rub available you need. Bass Pro Shops and Ace westlake hardware stores carry Plowboys yardbird rub. also carry Plowboys bovine beef rub for briskit. It's very good stuff.post #9 of 153/28/10 at 12:27pmThread Starterpost #10 of 153/28/10 at 12:33pmI agree with the italian dressing, and I just use a shake of Tony Chachere's original creaole seasoning. Works great on chicken. Has just enough salt to give you crisp skinpost #11 of 153/28/10 at 6:14pmThread Starterpost #12 of 154/1/12 at 12:26pm
Smoke Farmer, I dug up a few more for your future consideration (these are all among our favorites here):
An all-in-one meal, or you could piece together just the chicken meat:
Scroll down on this page for two additional poultry rubs:
If you like it HOT:
Great smokes to ya!!!
Ericpost #13 of 154/1/12 at 12:36pmpost #14 of 154/1/12 at 12:44pmpost #15 of 154/1/12 at 12:58pmQuote:
OOPS!!!! Shoulda had my reading glasses on...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Chicken Rub ?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Lolipop legs bacon wrapped jalapeño popper chicken breast !Qview 1 minute ago
- › Jalapeno elk saugage 7 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro TP20 any good? 2 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Smoke Chief cold smoke generator 3 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Can i hang my UMAi in my basement? 3 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › Corned beef and hash 3 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Smoked Garlic Pork + 5 ~ Foamheart 4 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Some grilled chicken quarters. 4 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Which stick burner to buy?? 4 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › PID problems runaway temp 4 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub