Final mod - removable rain stack
The last mod I'm making is a removable rain stack. I started with an 8" to 6" reducer, an 8" flange cover and a standard 6" rain cap (like the one travcoman45 used to make his stack in http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t.php?p=168391
I first welded the flange cover to the reducer:
and used tin snips to cut the metal enough it could be folded down so the flange would be flush with the smoker when flipped over:
I MIG welded all but 12 of the tabs down (evenly distributing the 12 remaining). Into each of the 12 slots I inserted a 1/2" diameter, 1/4" thick Samarium-Cobalt magnet (had to pound down the flange to make a few fit):[SmCo magnets are good up to around 500 deg F. Don't use Neodymium-Iron-Boron magnets as they lose their magnetic property at 176 deg F. SmCo magnets come in different grades. The magnets I used are rated to hold 11 lbs each, but that's in direct contact. I estimate it takes 10 lbs force to pull the stack directly off the smoker with these 12 magnets.]
I ended up welding the remaining tabs down but don't recommend it unless yo are a very good welder. I'm not, and the results were terrible, but I'd already cut the excess length off the tabs before learning how hard it is to weld in a strong magnetic field. If given another chance I would pop rivet them.
I then drilled out the rivets holding the top to the 6" vent cover and tossed the bottom in the trash:
I used pop rivets to fasten the top to the new bottom:
and put two layers of Gorilla Tape around the flange to protect the smoker. I then painted everything with more high temp black epoxy paint:
What's to say - it keeps rain from falling in and doubles to hold the smoker cover on when not in use. May have been worth the time since I wanted to use the factory cover which precluded the typical permanent stack mod.