steve, my 3rd attemp is just straight 1/8 inch thick steel spaced apart from each other, much like you see on other cookers. My first attemp was used with out a charcoal basket, and worked real well, then I got the stock for the 2nd attemp from a friend and tried to make it better, and it seemed about the same, but a bit hotter at the box end, but then when I introduced the basket, it got real hot at the box end so I had to tone it down some without losing my stack end heat. Now I have a new baffle/deflector I made, and I am all confused now!
Tell You what, the temp probe is in a block of wood instead of a spud, seems to work better. I am gonna fashion a new device soon, one to fit in the charbroil and also work in the Lang 60 I am picking up next weekend. I have to fix a broken handle on my firebox tomorrow, and I think I will drill a few 3/8 inch holes in the first plate near the box and see how she works. The test will be performed on a 13 lb ribeye on sunday!
I'll try to post pics of the mod and the beef!