or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › CHUCKIE BURNT ENDS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CHUCKIE BURNT ENDS

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Well after seeing several threads on this including Jeff's newsletter, I had to give it a try.

I wouldn't call it poor mans burnt ends, because chucks are way more expensive than brisket.

At least down here they are. But I figured it's only Judy & I so I don't need a 15 lb. piece of meat & a small chuck for experimenting will work fine.

 

So here we go. I started with a 2 1/2 lb chuck roast.

 

 

Lately I have been injecting everything with Creole butter, so why not try it with the chuck.

By the way the Creole butter was ice cold from the fridge.

 

 

After injecting it, I rubbed it down with my rub, yes pork rub. I'm experimenting, right?

 

 

Next, into a vac bag. I found that if you make the bag a little long, when you vacuum it the liquid doesn't get to the seal.

 

 

Into the fridge for a couple of days.

 

 

I like to smoke my stuff in pans with some kind of liquid. This time it's French onion soup.

 

 

Not a lot, but enough to cover the bottom of the pan.

 

 

I tied a string around the chuck because I wanted it to be tight together, so it would cook more evenly.

 

 

Into the Lang, which was running about 275 when I put it in.

It wanted to run around 250-260 the whole day so I just let it stay there.

 

 

It took 3 hours to get to 190. So I let it rest for 15 minutes.

 

 

Then cubed it up.

 

 

And coated it with BBQ sauce & more rub. Tossed it real well.

 

 

Back into the smoker.

 

 

It's still holding at 250. I flipped the burnt ends over every half hour, and took a sample taste.

 

 

It took 3 more hours before they were melt in your mouth tender.

 

 

Judy just ate hers with a fork with the bun on the side, we also had some linguine with broccoli on the side.

 

 

I had to have mine in a sammie.

 

 

All in all they were very good.

I think if I had a choice between burnt ends from brisket or a chuck, I would choose the brisket.

I wish I could just buy a brisket point around here, but I can't & these are about as close as you can get.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Al

post #2 of 12
That looks very tasty Al ! Nice cook ! icon14.gif
post #3 of 12
Looks tasty Al! I agree chuckies can be $$$ compared to brisket.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

That looks very tasty Al ! Nice cook ! icon14.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Looks tasty Al! I agree chuckies can be $$$ compared to brisket.

 

 

Thanks guys!

 

Al

post #5 of 12

Looks good Al!

I too would like to see just a point sold. What I see here is they merely cut the brisket crosswise and call one the point and one the flat. Both pieces are a combo of both, very irritating. If you do see an actual point, it's commercially corned and in a plastic bag, eww.

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit 4 Brains View Post
 

Looks good Al!

I too would like to see just a point sold. What I see here is they merely cut the brisket crosswise and call one the point and one the flat. Both pieces are a combo of both, very irritating. If you do see an actual point, it's commercially corned and in a plastic bag, eww.

 

Thanks buddy!

 

Same here, I can buy corned beef points all day long. Why not fresh ones?  th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

Al

post #7 of 12

Looks delicious Al! Your really putting the ol' Lang to good use.

 

Nice

post #8 of 12

Looks Great Al !!:drool----:points:

 

I thought about doing this when I saw Jeff's, but now you pushed me the rest of the way!!Thumbs Up

 

Gotta do it---Thanks Al.Thumbs Up

 

I will probably eat mine like Judy did hers. Some things are just easier that way!Thumbs Up

 

 

Bear

post #9 of 12
I gotta try this! Looks awesome!
post #10 of 12
I have seen all the posts too.

I gonna try it after seeing yours.

POINTS.
post #11 of 12
Looks great, Al! Kind of like beef candy. Chuck Roasts are on "sale" here a lot, but I haven't tried the burnt ends thing . The Mrs likes her chuckie sliced, and I guess there you have it.
I've developed a Pastrami habit, so I just get a whole brisket (8 or 10 lbs), cut the flat off and have the point to smoke. Problem is, that I end up forgetting about burnt ends and just slice it all for Sammie's LOL.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheelerdog View Post
 

Looks delicious Al! Your really putting the ol' Lang to good use.

 

Nice

 

Thanks Red, Yea it's kinda hot outside, but I can't help myself!  :30:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

Looks Great Al !!:drool----:points:

 

I thought about doing this when I saw Jeff's, but now you pushed me the rest of the way!!Thumbs Up

 

Gotta do it---Thanks Al.Thumbs Up

 

I will probably eat mine like Judy did hers. Some things are just easier that way!Thumbs Up

 

 

Bear

 

Thanks a lot Bear!

Appreciate the point too, buddy!

 

Al

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingEarL View Post

I gotta try this! Looks awesome!

 

Thanks Earl!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

I have seen all the posts too.

I gonna try it after seeing yours.

POINTS.

 

Thanks Adam!

Thank you for the point too!

 

Al

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post

Looks great, Al! Kind of like beef candy. Chuck Roasts are on "sale" here a lot, but I haven't tried the burnt ends thing . The Mrs likes her chuckie sliced, and I guess there you have it.
I've developed a Pastrami habit, so I just get a whole brisket (8 or 10 lbs), cut the flat off and have the point to smoke. Problem is, that I end up forgetting about burnt ends and just slice it all for Sammie's LOL.

 

Thanks Dan!

I may try that too, we do eat a lot of pastrami here too, and I always just buy a flat.

I don't know why I haven't done it your way.

 

Al

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › CHUCKIE BURNT ENDS