I picked up a 2 pack of pork butts from Costco. (Unfortunately not bone in)
I like Jeffs rub, not too overpowering on any flavor so I like to add a finish sauce.
Here are my steps.
1. Put frozen meat in fridge to thaw, took 3 days
2. wash under water and pat dry with paper towel.
3. cover in yellow mustard
4. coat thoroughly with jeffs rub ( I use slightly less pepper in my version)
5. let sit room temp while I start smoker
6. load up lump charcol in my big green egg, start with webber start cube in back in one spot. Let it go for 10-15 mins with no wood chunks on coals.
7. after coals are started in one spot, push hickory wood chunks (dry) in between charcoal
8. add plate setter/heat deflector, water pan filled with water and let it come up to around 210.
9. add meat
10. place maverick thermometer in meat and on grate
11. cook for 7 hours until IT reaches 170 and meat completed the stall
12. cover with foil and add your juice or liquid to pan (this time I used OJ and a little cider vinegar, didn't have apple juice)
13. I finished in foil in my oven at 225 until IT reached around 200. I just probe meat with my thermometer until it slides in and out like butter and then I know it's done. Sometimes it is finished at 195, other times not until 205, keep probing until tender
14. let site in foil pan for 1 hour
15. drain juices (I find the juices that are still in pan to be too smokey, I like the meat smokey but not overbearing)
16. Remove unrendered excess fat (I remove excess fat, keeps some but not all) by sliding tongs over it or sliding it off with my food prep gloves on
17. Pull with tongs and hands (with food prep gloves on)
18. make finish sauce. I used SoFlaQuers recipe which is modified because I can't use the brand Tony Cach... because it has soy in it and my daughter is allergic, so I made a home made version. Also, I substituted the brown suger with a brown suger based BBQ rub and added cayenne, black pepper like the recipe.
19. add finish sauce and enjoy!!
11:00 pm put on smoker
6 am foil and place in 225 degree oven
10 am, maverick read 200, instant thermo says 197.
Slides in and out like butter with no resistance
Prepare finish sauce, heat vinegar and mix in brown sugar to dissolve.
Next add mixture to squeeze bottle then add remaining ingredients and shake to mix
Pour out extra juices (too smokey for me, overwhelms flavor)
pull and discard excess unrenderred fat (or keep if you like it)
Right pan has finish sauce, left pan will be frozen