So two "newbie" errors made on this, my first ever smoke.
One... I think I packed the sawdust too tightly, guess is needs some air to work properly too. So the dust stopped after about an hour (could also have been because I didn't have the vents open all the way)
Thinking I was clever I lit it in a couple of places and it burned VERY fast.
Worried it wouldn't be smoked enough, I tried again. This time the maze did a superb job and burned exactly how you would expect it too.
6 hours (the recipe says to do 5 but after it going out, I went for 6) only one 'leg' of the second maze had burned, so I managed to put it out and save the dust.
Really happy with the way it went, once I loaded the maze right.
The other error I made was only hooking the fish in one place (middle of the tail) with one hook.
After 20 mins the damn thing ripped off! So I re allocated it at the head end, with FOUR hooks to be sure and it was fine.
Had a sneaky taste last night, after a final JD & EVO baste and dill sprinkling. (Will be better this morning after a stint in the fridge) and it was very nice!
May be a little over smokey but we all know why that is.:)
Feeling much more confident about a hot smoke now. But (As SeenRed and a couple of others have discussed with me) I am going to need to sort out a rack for the food (rather than hanging) and a grate for the firebox. Going to try and source some this weekend.
Will let you know how it tastes after a rest in the fridge and is sliced nice and thin tomorrow!