Thanks DirtSailor and Smokin Monkey!
I fermented at 19 deg C because I still had three sopressatta's in the chamber drying, and I didn't want to raise the temp too much.
So I compromised a little and fermented at 66 deg F (19C) instead of 68 deg F (20C). Figured two degrees lower wouldn't affect the fermentation, and 2 degrees cooler would be just that, 2 degrees cooler for my curing sopressatta.
It was an interesting experiment, as I learned a couple of things from the 48 hours at 19C instead of 20C (fermentation), and from the 48 hrs at 19C versus my normal 13C.
First, I innocuated the chorizo with M-600 mold last night at 10:45pm. This morning around 10:45am I check on them....and they already had signs of mold! Amazing! Mold was visible in just 12 hours, versus my first curing project in the chamber (the sopressatta) at the same 19C temp, where mold wasnt visible for 3 days.
It may have something to do with the amount of mold spores that are now inside my chamber from the month long curing of the sopressatta. I did notice when I got back from vacation that the chamber horizontal surfaces had fine white powder on them, here and there. I am assuming that my curing chamber is now "innoculated" with the M-600, so the chorizo benefited from this and it sped up the innoculation time.
Or maybe I was just extra heavy-handed with my spray bottle on the chorizos. I don't spray into my chamber, I take each one out and spray them outside and let them drip for about 15 seconds, then return them to the chamber.
Second thing is that at 13C and 80% RH my sopressatta was losing around 6-8g of weight per 48 hours. When I raised the chamber temp to 19C at 85% RH for fermenting the chorizo for the past 48 hours, the weigh loss was only 3g during that time. I believe that was due to the higher 5% humidity for 2 days. So that tells me little changes due affect the salumis over time.
I expect the chorizo to hit 35% weight loss in probably 2-3 weeks. I base this on the fact that these are about 25% smaller in diameter than my sopressatta, and shorter in lenght as well.
My sopressatta took 25 days to hit 30%-33%, and looks like it will take an additional 14 days or so to hit 40%. I cure everything at the same temp and humidity for consistency (13C@82%RH)
I used 1% fresh garlic, which was 49g for the 4,872g batch. Hopefully that will be enough to recognize garlic in the final product, but not overpower the pimenton and pork.
For meat I used pork shoulder for lean (70-72%) and hard pork back fat (28-30%)
I read somewhere that chorizo made with 25% fat is good, but chorizo made with 35% fat is fantastic. I would have aimed for the 35% fat range, but I only had enough hard back fat to get to 28-30% total fat.