Happy New Year friends!
I thought I'd make some black eyed peas today for New Years. They say they will bring you good luck for the entire year... I can use all the luck I can get!
But Unfortunately there must have been a run at the store for Hocks! In a semi panic I noticed neck bones in the display. No problem! A man on a mission. I tossed em in the cart.
- 2 pounds of Black Eyed Peas.
- 2 Ham hocks. (The store was out of hocks so I'm smoking neck bones)
- 1 can of Rotel
- 32oz beef stock or broth along with enough water to cover the peas by an inch or so.
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic.
- Salt to taste but the remember that the hock will be salty so wait on adding till last.
You want to soak your peas overnight or use the quick soak method on the package.
Next Dust the neck bones and put them on the MES. 250 degrees for 4 hours should do it.
Magic Bean Dust from the recipe above.
After 4 hours in the smoke the neck bones look and smell awesome!
All the spices and ingredients, bones go into the pea pot. Fill with beef broth and enough water to cover the peas by one inch.
Bring to a boil... Then turn down the heat to a slow simmer. Simmer for 2 hours. Then pull the neck bone from the pot. Shred the meat off the bone and return the meat to the pot. Give the bone to the dog.
Happy New Year Folks!
Edited by BDSkelly - 12/31/15 at 4:17pm