or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Dutch Oven Cooking › Dutch Oven Recipes › Let's talk Breakfast!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's talk Breakfast!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
We usually make this camping in the Dutch oven. Super simple to make and requires only a few ingredients. So here we go. This is a per person recipe so multiply accordingly.

1 Pasilla or Poblano or banana pepper (remember this is per person)
2 eggs
Your favorite salsa
Grated cheese ( I usually get a bag of the three cheese Mexican blend or Queso Blanco)
Salt pepper
Swirl of olive oil and a few tablespoons of water.
Optional items:
Fresh cilantro, pickled jalapeños, sour cream, tortillas, black beans.

I did not use my Dutch oven today I used a CI pan and a lid.

Slice peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and stems.

Add oil and water to heated DO. Add pepper halves, season with salt and pepper. Cover. Cook until slightly soft but still hold shape. Turn halfs every minute or so.

Remove halves from heat. spoon in a layer of salsa into the pepper boat. Add cheese. If using beams add cooked beans now. Crack egg into pepper boat. Add more salsa and cheese on top season with salt and pepper. Place back in DO cover and cook.

Cook until whites set and yolk is still runny. If you like you can do scrambled eggs instead.


Serve with sour cream, fresh cilantro, hot sauce, tortillas etc.

I over cooked these and the yolks set, boo!














ENJOY!!!!
post #2 of 9
Oh hell yea, gonna definitely be making these ! Awesome Case ! icon14.gif
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Oh hell yea, gonna definitely be making these ! Awesome Case ! icon14.gif

Thanks Justin! One of my favorites!
post #4 of 9

Thanks DS,  I can see the possibilities are endless on these.  Think lidding with a shot of smoke would work?

 

T

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

Thanks DS,  I can see the possibilities are endless on these.  Think lidding with a shot of smoke would work?

T

I don't see why not.
post #6 of 9

If I had peppers, I would be making them right now.   As I like you like runny yolks, I was thinking a shot of smoke from my handheld then lidding would aid in melting the cheese , but help keep the yolks runny.  Thoughts?
 

T

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

If I had peppers, I would be making them right now.   As I like you like runny yolks, I was thinking a shot of smoke from my handheld then lidding would aid in melting the cheese , but help keep the yolks runny.  Thoughts?

 
T

I cook these with the lid on. It helps set the eggs and does melt the cheese. One issue I had this go around was time management. I got busy doing something else and they went too long. I think your smoke would be a nice touch. I seasoned mine with smokes salt. The peppers char a bit so there is a hint of smoke already. Another option would be to char the peppers and remove the skins.
post #8 of 9

OK,  After rereading the OP, I see they are cooked with the lid on.  Now I have a pretty solid plan.  If town wasn't 40 minutes away, I would go get some peppers.

 

Thanks again,

 

T

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

OK,  After rereading the OP, I see they are cooked with the lid on.  Now I have a pretty solid plan.  If town wasn't 40 minutes away, I would go get some peppers.

Thanks again,

T

I bet they'll be on your next shopping list! I wish I'd had time to make taters with this. They go good with the pepper and runny yolks. The wife prefers to have corn tortillas with hers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dutch Oven Recipes
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Dutch Oven Cooking › Dutch Oven Recipes › Let's talk Breakfast!