I usually only do the brine and cure, but on one of the birds I added fresh basil, oregano, and rosemary from my herb garden. This produced a noticeable color difference between the 2 birds, and it imparted a nice flavor.
After sitting in the buckets for 3 days, I took out the birds, rinsed them off, allowed them to dry for a while in the frig, and then stuck them in stockinettes, and put em in the smoker. Note the color difference of the bird on the right, that's the one with the herbs in the brine.
I smoked these in my big electric at 225 degrees and used apple pellets in my new expanding A-MAZE-N pellet tube. The tube was still smoking when I pulled the birds out after 5 hours.
Whipped up some mashed potatoes, mixed in some bacon bits, and caramelized onions, and served!
The bride has been down for almost 2 weeks after back surgery, and she finally has an appetite again. I think she ate the entire breast!