or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › The Sausage board
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sausage board

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Since I don't have a dedicated place to permanently mount my LEMon stuffer I made a board that I can mount the stuffer to and then clamp the board to the counter.. It creates a nice solid surface to work from. One thing I hadn't done was seal the wood. This was almost a disaster when I stuffed the linguica as there was so much liquid I thought I'd never get the board clean. Fortunately I used MDF plywood and it's a bit more forgiving than el cheapo ply.

Today I remedied this by mixing up a batch of epoxy and giving the ply a good coat. You could use paint or poly, or whatever. I use epoxy for my other hobby Wood boat building so I went with that. Whipped up a 6 oz batch and liberally painted it on. Once it's dry it will be ready for use again.

A few notes on the board. You need to Countersink your bolt heads so the board sits flush on the surface you are going to mount it too so take that in to account when determining the thickness of wood to use. Make the board as wide as the surface you intend to clamp it too. My counter doesn't have a lip big enough on the end I put the board on so I have to clamp at the ends of the board.

344f29eb5d0b691aa28a45661de99382.jpg

048ab12300bdf2c7449c034b8ebf091e.jpg

1ecd6cc4a7cf53ff183cf8f62fa6e62b.jpg

44843191afb68dc0bc0a971328302e07.jpg

af2a9635f22d6201d274d88c0799e670.jpg



Smoke away!!!
post #2 of 17
Looks good dirt..... Don't get de-sensitized to that epoxy.... bad stuff.....
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Looks good dirt..... Don't get de-sensitized to that epoxy.... bad stuff.....

Thanks Dave. Yeah it can be bad stuff. I always take precautions when working with epoxy, even in its hardened state. The dust from sanding/scrapping is just as bad.
post #4 of 17
Did you have to add water to that epoxy?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope it's all working well for you now.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Phil View Post

Did you have to add water to that epoxy?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope it's all working well for you now.

That's what the epoxy is for, to keep all that water LEM wants you to use out of the plywood!!!
post #6 of 17

Nice,

post #7 of 17

Great.  Hey Dirt.  The LEM comes with 2 C clamps.  I have a granite countertop.  Can I secure the stuffer to the counter top using the two holes I've highlighted?  The way my counter lies against the wall, I can secure it using the back holes.

 

Will this work (i.e. are those the right holes).  Also, do I risk damage to my countertop?

 

Thanks.

 

 

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

I suppose you could use the provided clamps. So as to not scratch your granite I would put something between the stuffer and the granite.

post #9 of 17
You can use those holes, that's what they're for. As for the counter top, just make sure there's no metal (screws, bolts, nuts) on the bottom where it can come in contact with the counter top.
post #10 of 17

I will slide a piece of wood or something in there.  Thanks guys.  

post #11 of 17
Nice Case ! icon14.gif
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Nice Case ! icon14.gif

Thanks Justin!
post #13 of 17

Nice work. I'm using a large (18"x24"X5/8" thick) plastic cutting board. We had some extras at work in the storeroom, I asked the owner about buying one and she said to just take one. So I did. Bolted my stuffer in the center of one of the narrower ends with some gasket material between to keep stuff from creeping underneath. Provides a nice catch area for the sausages and cleanup is a breeze.

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP View Post

Nice work. I'm using a large (18"x24"X5/8" thick) plastic cutting board. We had some extras at work in the storeroom, I asked the owner about buying one and she said to just take one. So I did. Bolted my stuffer in the center of one of the narrower ends with some gasket material between to keep stuff from creeping underneath. Provides a nice catch area for the sausages and cleanup is a breeze.

That's a nice set up. I really want a dedicated table with the grinder and stuffer mounted to it. The wife would make me live under it!
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post


That's a nice set up. I really want a dedicated table with the grinder and stuffer mounted to it. The wife would make me live under it!



That's what I'd like to have as well. I actually already have a 30"x48" stainless prep table I picked up cheap when a local restaurant was shutting down... I just don't have a mrs.-approved place to put it that's convenient for what I want to use it for right now. I'm working on that though.

post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP View Post



That's what I'd like to have as well. I actually already have a 30"x48" stainless prep table I picked up cheap when a local restaurant was shutting down... I just don't have a mrs.-approved place to put it that's convenient for what I want to use it for right now. I'm working on that though.

You could always sleep under it!
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Phil View Post

Did you have to add water to that epoxy?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope it's all working well for you now.
Damn, you beat me to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › The Sausage board