or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Reverse Flow › Painting the CC and FB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Painting the CC and FB

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
So I'm building my first reverse flow smoker from a 120 gallon air compressor tank. My question is do you bother with painting the inside of the firebox and cook chamber? I know there is high temp paint but I hear it will burn off anyway eventually. And should I paint the inside of the cook chamber too? I'm almost done with the firebox build.
post #2 of 15
Oil the inside of the CC like you would a cast iron fry pan.... For the outside, I just became aware of Eastwood products....



http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_18?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=eastwood+high+temperature+paint&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Aeastwood+high+temperature+paint
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Oil the inside of the CC like you would a cast iron fry pan.... For the outside, I just became aware of Eastwood products....



http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_18?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=eastwood+high+temperature+paint&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Aeastwood+high+temperature+paint
Thanks for posting that link, Dave. I am almost ready to paint my build so this is very helpful.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Ok. Thanks Dave. What about the inside of the firebox? Should I bother painting it?
post #5 of 15

Don't worry about the inside of the firebox, you don't want the taste of burnt paint on your food.

 

Eastwood usually has good products, I've used their stuff restoring cars in the past. Used some of their header paint that held up well so I assume it is the same base material. 

post #6 of 15
Sold by the rattle can or by the pint .... Don't seem like a good deal to me but that's just my opinion.
post #7 of 15
Then go to Lowes and get 1200* Rustoleum for $3.88
post #8 of 15
I think Joe used 16 cans of paint on his smoker.... A HVLP gun and a quart of paint should be less money.. dilute the paint with mineral spirits or acetone and you are in business... You tube has many how to spray paint" with HVLP guns....
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

I think Joe used 16 cans of paint on his smoker.... A HVLP gun and a quart of paint should be less money.. dilute the paint with mineral spirits or acetone and you are in business... You tube has many how to spray paint" with HVLP guns....
This will be the route I am going. Going to visit the local auto paint supply house to see if Kevin can mix up a "custom" high heat paint....
post #10 of 15
Read up on Harbor Freight guns on U-tube... folks say they are the same as more expensive guns... they do need disassembly and cleaning and sealing when received... the folks at the factory don't do a good job assembling..... when you have done that, folks say they work flawlessly.... paint very well... etc....

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Read up on Harbor Freight guns on U-tube... folks say they are the same as more expensive guns... they do need disassembly and cleaning and sealing when received... the folks at the factory don't do a good job assembling..... when you have done that, folks say they work flawlessly.... paint very well... etc....

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html
Have a small touch up gun from HF. I bought a decent HVLP gun years ago, will probably just be using that.
Need to talk to a friend that powder coats. She has mentioned that her supplier has some sort of ceramic coating that is used on auto headers. From what I remember Leanna said it is applied just like a conventional paint and drys rock hard with no oven curing necessary. One of its advantages (?) is it holds heat in.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjunkie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Read up on Harbor Freight guns on U-tube... folks say they are the same as more expensive guns... they do need disassembly and cleaning and sealing when received... the folks at the factory don't do a good job assembling..... when you have done that, folks say they work flawlessly.... paint very well... etc....

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html
Have a small touch up gun from HF. I bought a decent HVLP gun years ago, will probably just be using that.
Need to talk to a friend that powder coats. She has mentioned that her supplier has some sort of ceramic coating that is used on auto headers. From what I remember Leanna said it is applied just like a conventional paint and drys rock hard with no oven curing necessary. One of its advantages (?) is it holds heat in.


Eastwood has ceramic paint.... like regular paint... check the link above.... I found it yesterday....
post #13 of 15
Going thru Eastwood I will pay a premium price compared to her...not to mention she owes me for some car parts I gave her so going to be hard to beat her price.
post #14 of 15
SAVE MONEY !!!!!!
post #15 of 15
IJ, the HVLP is the way to go. I thought that you were just touching up. I used to have an HVLP and the overspray is practically nil. Also the product is warm when it comes out and practically dries on contact. Be sure that you mix to the proper viscosity and it will be great. Of course, your other option is the powder coat. I don't know anything about applying that, but from what I hear, the finish is wonderful. Good luck, Joe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Reverse Flow
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Reverse Flow › Painting the CC and FB