Hello to all,
This is my1st post so please don't throw pitchforks and rocks at me if something is unclear.
So for 8 months i was a happy MES owner until one day I've out some marinated ribs in my smoker and discovered this:
A squirrel ate my MES Power cord. I was very angry at that squirrel. Even tho it won't eat no more cables (ever) but that didn't solve the problem.
Masterbuild customer support informed me of no known repairs and that i must buy a new body which was 115$ us + Shipping + Import fees (i'm in Canada). So before buying a new smoker, i decided to give it a shot even if i am not a handy man and as my dad says my "hands grow from my ass". I've figured i couldn't do any worse.
So i've moved the MES in the living room because it live in a condo, have a small balcony and it was around 0celsius (32F) outside.
I've put the MES on a rug that i found in the closet and started to pray
Initially i wanted to drill the rivets on the back and open the back of the unit, even removed the wheels when i noticed 2 more little panels at the bottom. They were screwed to the body with 6 and 7 screws.Not sure if it's on purpose but few of the screws were hexagonal stars :S luckily i had the whole set
I think GOD answered my prayers because there it was! the power cord was easily accessible. This is how the power cord was attached to the electronic board with connectors
Since i was using my MES with an extension cord. (I know it's wrong, SHOOT ME, but i don't have en electrical plug on the balcony) I have decided to just connect the shortened original cord.After this, everything was relatively quick and painless. I took off the black and white cables which had connectors at the end. I've cut them off, picked up a bag of new connectors from my local electronic store (a bag of 10 connectors for 1.99$).
This is how it all looked when everything was prepared for the final battle
So i have put new connectors on the wires, reconnected them and VOILA!
And one last thing. The original power cord had a stopper located on it to prevent the cable from being pulled out. ANd i am not talking about that screw on cap. I am referring to the tie-wrap. :)
I did improve it by putting some electrical tape around the wire before putting the tie-wrap where it's supposed to be.
The rest is plain simple: Screw back everything you have unscrewed and that's it.
I am writing this while giving my MES a blank run just to make sure it's in good condition after passing the cold Canadian winter on the balcony.
Thank you fellow smokers for reading this and i hope it will help some1.