or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Reverse burnt ends?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reverse burnt ends?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Anybody ever make "burnt ends" out of the flat and slice the point portion.

Thinking about doing this next time. The burnt ends are so tasty and go so fast that the larger flat portion may proivde just enough and the smaller point may satify those that want sliced brisket.

The way I understand it, true "burnt ends" were just that, but now folks like myslef make "burnt ends" from the point.

The way I make burnt ends, cube, then lightly sauce then re-smoke, would seem to work even better for the flat portion.

Thoughts.....
post #2 of 12
Should work. Should work with any type of meat.
post #3 of 12
Hope it works out make sure to let us know! I would try but am to cheap!
post #4 of 12

Yes it will work. We like them so much that we always cube some of the main brisked and use for burnt ends.

post #5 of 12
What temp do you pull the brisket to cube?
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

What temp do you pull the brisket to cube?

Personally I wait unitl it is "done" then cube, add sauce and re-smoke. Again I only do this to the point, but will try part of the flat next time
post #7 of 12
I have done the point as well, but if the whole flat would turn out good as burnt ends it would be awesome. I just don't want to waste the cash to find out, but now that I think about it I used a small chunk of flat for hash one time that I trimmed instead of tucking it and it was pretty tasty.
post #8 of 12

I use chuck roasts for burnt ends, less work than cutting the point off a brisket and the cook is shorter as well. YMMV.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcarter View Post
 

I use chuck roasts for burnt ends, less work than cutting the point off a brisket and the cook is shorter as well. YMMV.

 

Hey Cliff,  Do you cook the chuck to a particular consistency or temp before cubing?

post #10 of 12

Here's what I did back when my WSM liked to coast at higher temps:

 

Faux Burnt Ends

 

On a brisket the "point" of the brisket is often cut up into small cubes of meat, mixed with sauce, and called "burnt ends."  On the Smoking Meat Forum website one of the posters used sirloin cut into cubes to make faux burnt ends.  I thought a chuck roast would work just as well.  That's how this recipe came into existence.

 

Lesson learned from first attempt:  go lightly on the rub.  Uncovered they take a lot longer to get ready than crutched.  Great texture and taste.

 

Ingredients
3.5 lbs chuck roast
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
brisket rub
Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce or any sauce of choice.
olive oil spray

 

Directions

1. Fire up the smoker with hickory or any wood of choice.  Prep for an initial low chamber heat, 225°F to 235°F. 

2. While the smoker is pre-heating and burning off the white-grey smoke, prep the meat.

3. Cut the chuck roast into 3/4" to 1" cubes and place in a bowl.  Discard any large pieces of fat.

4. Add enough EVOO so when stirring the meat it becomes completely coated.

5. Add your rub lightly and stir to coat the meat.  Add additional rub as necessary but not a lot.

6. Put an 8x10 cooling rack in a 9x13 roasting pan.  Coat the pan and rack with olive oil spray.

7. Dump the meat cubes in the roasting pan and spread out to maximize exposure to the smoke.  Don't worry if they are packed tightly, they shrink.

8. Load the smoker when the hints of blue smoke appear.  Temp may be high initially but it will drop after the meat is loaded.

9. Let the meat smoke for at least 3.5 hours.  Don't worry if the chamber temp climbs into the 270's, it won't hurt.

10. Take the meat off the smoker, plate the meat, dump out the drippings and scrap the roaster.  Put the meat back in the roaster without the cooling rack and liberally coat with BBQ sauce.  Stir to coat well.

11. Load back on the smoker and let the chamber temperature climb to 275°F to 310°F.  Finish with a three hour smoke at the higher temp.

12. Remove and serve.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
 

 

Hey Cliff,  Do you cook the chuck to a particular consistency or temp before cubing?

 

I cook them to 165°-170° before I cube, sauce and foil. Rub is just kosher salt and black pepper. I sauce with Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar sauce. Then I cook another hour to an hour and a half.

My cook temps are around 300°, no higher than 325° usually.

The last that I did, about 10 pounds of Angus chuck-

 

 

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcarter View Post
 

 

I cook them to 165°-170° before I cube, sauce and foil. Rub is just kosher salt and black pepper. I sauce with Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar sauce. Then I cook another hour to an hour and a half.

My cook temps are around 300°, no higher than 325° usually.

The last that I did, about 10 pounds of Angus chuck-

 

 

 

Thanks for this.  I will sure give it a shot.  Your finished product looks great!!  :drool

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noboundaries View Post
 

Here's what I did back when my WSM liked to coast at higher temps:

 

Faux Burnt Ends

 

On a brisket the "point" of the brisket is often cut up into small cubes of meat, mixed with sauce, and called "burnt ends."  On the Smoking Meat Forum website one of the posters used sirloin cut into cubes to make faux burnt ends.  I thought a chuck roast would work just as well.  That's how this recipe came into existence.

 

Lesson learned from first attempt:  go lightly on the rub.  Uncovered they take a lot longer to get ready than crutched.  Great texture and taste.

 

Ingredients
3.5 lbs chuck roast
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
brisket rub
Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce or any sauce of choice.
olive oil spray

 

Directions

1. Fire up the smoker with hickory or any wood of choice.  Prep for an initial low chamber heat, 225°F to 235°F. 

2. While the smoker is pre-heating and burning off the white-grey smoke, prep the meat.

3. Cut the chuck roast into 3/4" to 1" cubes and place in a bowl.  Discard any large pieces of fat.

4. Add enough EVOO so when stirring the meat it becomes completely coated.

5. Add your rub lightly and stir to coat the meat.  Add additional rub as necessary but not a lot.

6. Put an 8x10 cooling rack in a 9x13 roasting pan.  Coat the pan and rack with olive oil spray.

7. Dump the meat cubes in the roasting pan and spread out to maximize exposure to the smoke.  Don't worry if they are packed tightly, they shrink.

8. Load the smoker when the hints of blue smoke appear.  Temp may be high initially but it will drop after the meat is loaded.

9. Let the meat smoke for at least 3.5 hours.  Don't worry if the chamber temp climbs into the 270's, it won't hurt.

10. Take the meat off the smoker, plate the meat, dump out the drippings and scrap the roaster.  Put the meat back in the roaster without the cooling rack and liberally coat with BBQ sauce.  Stir to coat well.

11. Load back on the smoker and let the chamber temperature climb to 275°F to 310°F.  Finish with a three hour smoke at the higher temp.

12. Remove and serve.

 

Thanks for adding your method NB.  Thumbs Up  I appreciate it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Reverse burnt ends?