My Brick build will be very much like Wes W.
1) All of the heat will be absorbed into firebrick which will be contained (not lost), like a 110* day and the pavement at 9p.m.
2) Our brick house is as air tight as you make them (Tight dampers and doors, insulation, firebrick..no problem), You do not need a manufacturer for 3x the price when you have capabilities to manufacture it yourself for the price of personal labor.
3) I will have 5/16" fireplace heat rope all the way around my 1/4" flat plate door openings which will make it "AIR TIGHT" along with a damper above as Wes W. has. The damper will only have a 1/16"-1/32" space between the slide.
4) If you do not have access to wood, stay with the egg or your tin can, in which I still burn wood in but its inefficient as hell along with doing a super job!
We all find a smoker We like and get into a rut or routine, I decided way back this will be my lifetime Brick Smoker and making my change.
I have a couple of questions also,
1) Are your questions to Wes W. inquiries only?
2) Are you in disbelief that these are efficient Smokers?(for the quantity of meat you can produce/hogs/deer etc.)
3) Are you stuck in the rut of a tin can and an green egg and wanting to decide to go with something similar as us?
4) The last thing I would own for a smoker is one with a electrical cord!! -Coal and wood is living! green mountain and others are not for hobbyists and true outdoor cooks in my opinion, it is for the lazy wanting the real deal and will never experience the true flavor!
(I will catch heat for this statement) - sorry in advance to all offended and I will not repeat it.
Scooter I am a newbie myself, I only ask to see if this is positive criticism, you selling green eggs or going forward and adventure?
You are always welcome to contact me, Jim.
HAVE A SUPER EVENING ALL!
Edited by Jim Williams - 12/20/14 at 2:46pm