I just finished preparing a Boston Butt that I'll start smoking early this evening. It weighed in at just over 10 pounds (smallest one they had) so I'm figuring on at least 16 hours of smoking. Maybe more.
Following is my plan. Please let me know if any of this is a mistake.
- Prep was to rinse it off, trim the gland out, pat it dry and season with Jeff's rub. It's now in plastic wrap and in the fridge until time to cook.
- I plan to put it on at about 6 PM this evening at 250 degrees and use my new ANMPS full of apple pellets starting at about 7 PM.
- Smoking fat side down with a catch pan under the meat to save the drippings.
- Should I use a water pan??? If so, I am considering a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Thoughts?
- Plan is to let it roll through the night and into mid morning tomorrow and pull when the internal temp reads about 195 per my new Mav-733. I do not anticipate pulling and wrapping in foil unless I encounter a hard-core stall
- I do not plan to baste or otherwise disturb the smoking process at all. I know I'll be tempted to open the door and take a picture, but hope to restrain myself from doing so. Although, I may need to replenish the liquid in the pan...if it's recommended that I use it. If so, I'll do that about half way though.
- Upon removing from the smoker, I'll wrap and put in a cooler until about 2 PM.
- At 2 PM I'll remove from cooler, let rest for 1/2 hour and then begin to pull.
- After pulling I'll put it in a large pot (crock pot maybe) and finish with Chef JJ's finishing sauce that I found here, combined with the juices from the drippings.
- Daughter should be arriving from out of town at about 4 PM and then it's time for a feast.
Thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
If I can figure out the process of posting QView photo's, I'll do so.