or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Cheese › First go at cheese
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First go at cheese

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

The weather has finally cooled off in the desert so it's cheese smoking time.  Here are pics of my first try, 4 hours with pecan using Todd's AMAZN smoker and the mailbox mod.  

 

Thanks to Dave and the others for the mod info!  Thanks to Mr. T for the cheese tutorial!  All greatly appreciated. Thumbs Up

 

The cheese is cheddar, Colby/jack and Monterey Jack.  The fan is from an old pc and attached to a "wallwart", I used this to get the draft going just to be safe, then unplugged it.

 

    

 

 

Now to let it rest for several months....   if I can...


Edited by Darwin101 - 11/16/14 at 12:54pm
post #2 of 17


Looking good Darwin, glad I could help.

 

Enjoy,

 

Tom

post #3 of 17

:Looks-Great:  Cheese in next on my list, once my AMNPS arrives in a couple of days.  

Waiting would definitely be the hard part!  

post #4 of 17

Looks marvelous... need to get some of my pellets out and do some myself...

post #5 of 17

Looks great ,I too am now in the "wait mode" for cheese that was smoked and needs to age.

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin101 View Post
 

The weather has finally cooled off in the desert so it's cheese smoking time.  Here are pics of my first try, 4 hours with pecan using Todd's AMAZN smoker and the mailbox mod.  

 

Thanks to Dave and the others for the mod info!  Thanks to Mr. T for the cheese tutorial!  All greatly appreciated. Thumbs Up

 

The cheese is cheddar, Colby/jack and Monterey Jack.  The fan is from an old pc and attached to a "wallwart", I used this to get the draft going just to be safe, then unplugged it.

 

    

 

 

Now to let it rest for several months....   if I can...

That cheese looks great, I like the fan, were did you get the wallwart? That is what I need to give my MES40 that extra air supply.

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

That cheese looks great, I like the fan, were did you get the wallwart? That is what I need to give my MES40 that extra air supply.

I got the wallwart from Amazon, if you have an old device that used a 12vDC converter it should work.  Goodwill or other charity stores might have them.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z31G3M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

 

 

I could not resist and I sliced off a wee bit for a taste, it was like licking a wet ashtray.  :icon_rolleyes:  I had read that would be the result, now confirmed.  The cheese rested overnight and has been vacuum packed for ageing / mellowing. I should know more by the end of next month.

 

Thanks all, this is a great place to learn new things.

post #8 of 17

I did cheese yesterday and salt, left the cheese rest in fridge over night saran wrapped then vac sealed this AM, hope it ages enough for T-Day

Thank You very much, That will go perfect on my MES stand

post #9 of 17

This is a cheesy post. Please don't hate me.

 

That is some fine looking cheese.

 

Disco

post #10 of 17

And Disco gets a shot from the side - he shoots he scores!

post #11 of 17

 

Got my AMNPS in the mail today. This is my first post and first time cold smoking.

post #12 of 17

I'm going to cold smoke some more cheese this weekend in one smoker and maybe do some lox in the other.

post #13 of 17

Is there a link to Mr T's Cheese Tutorial?  I'm about to try it for the first time tomorrow, and I think I know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure.  :)

 

Katie

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by katemail13 View Post
 

Is there a link to Mr T's Cheese Tutorial?  I'm about to try it for the first time tomorrow, and I think I know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure.  :)

 

Katie

 

Katie, here you go.  If I may be of further help, please ask, either on the following or by PM.  Mr T's "Smoked Salmon From Go to Show" w/Q-View

 

Enjoy your cheese.

 

Tom

post #15 of 17

Smoked Salmon link?

post #16 of 17

Oops, too much gray hair. Thanks for the heads up cmayna.

 

Try this Katie,Mr T's "Smoked Cheese From Go To Show" w/ Q- View

 

Tom

post #17 of 17

Thanks for the update, Tom!  I posted a thread about my cheese smoke on this forum.  I am super excited for the cheese to cure in the fridge now, so I can eat it!

 

Katie

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cheese
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Cheese › First go at cheese